IFR FM/AM 1200 memory problem

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

crash
What radios do you own?: R2001C

IFR FM/AM 1200 memory problem

Post by crash »

Hi All!
Recently, my 1200 has started to show a CRC error and it clears the stored info in the memory before starting.
My question is, is it the backup battery, or the memory? Any Ideas, anyone?
It sure was a pain loosing the stored setups, now, I have to do everything manually!
Jeff
Jeff 'crash' Young N8CMQ
bh7juo
New User

Re: IFR FM/AM 1200 memory problem

Post by bh7juo »

If battery has rated voltage,maybe it's memory fault.But most of time I found old machine lost their battery votage.
BH7JUO Mark
HF DX,test set repair,PCB design,MCU coding,DIY......still have not enough time
jry

Post by jry »

battery dead .... just about all of the 1200 series are over 20 years old now.

You can measure from the side of the card cage without pulling the uP card but chances are it needs to be replaced anyway
crash

Post by crash »

The battery is dead.
Thanks!
Jeff 'crash' Young N8CMQ
crash

Post by crash »

Hi All!

It was the coin battery.
The new battery took care of the crc error, and I reprogrammed my most used frequencies and tones.

I am also replacing the lead acid batteries, so it can be portable once again.

Thanks again!
Jeff 'crash' Young N8CMQ
wcripley
New User

Post by wcripley »

Just in case someone else runs into this problem, I have an IFR FM/AM-1200 that had the same problem.

I bought 3x (1 to use, 2 spares) from a major USA electronic parts distributor. I guess I should have checked all the batteries that I bought from them. I picked one of the 3 out of the box, tested it to make sure it was the right voltage, and it was. I put it back in the box, then the next day de-soldered the old coin-cell and replaced it with one of the 3 new ones, and (because I am stupid) assumed that all were good. It turns out that 2 out of the 3 were bad from the supplier. I swapped out the battery, tested it this time, and now the unit is much better behaved and seems to work correctly. I chased my tail for a week or two thinking I had a bad EPROM since I still saw the check-sum error. Now all is good.

Moral of the story is to check these old solder-in Coin Cells. They may have been sitting on a shelf for decades.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”