R-2004D DES Cable for RTL-4200A

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dick D
New User

R-2004D DES Cable for RTL-4200A

Post by Dick D »

Hello,
I have a R-2004D Service monitor with a RTL-4200A Test box. Can someone provide the part number for the cable that connects the box to the secure com connector on the service monitor? The cable has a D-15 female and a D-15 male connector at the other end. Any help would be appreciated.
JohnDo

Re: R-2004D DES Cable for RTL-4200A

Post by JohnDo »

I have been down this road in the past, I found nothing.

After researching the R2000 service manual I was able to make a cable to connect the service monitor to the KVL and to a portable for keyloading.

I was able to load a test key into a portable from the monitor however I could not load the monitor with a key from the KVL

You might find this thread useful

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 317#p79955
Dick D
New User

Post by Dick D »

I appreciate your response. I did see that thread before. I was kind of hoping to find the cable that goes between the RTL & the 2004D. It looks like a simple cable to make. However I called Motorola's test equipment facility two weeks ago and have not had any response yet. I'll try their parts division next. I do have the Motorola service manual and it is kind of vague; section 22 talks about secure com and the RTL box. As you are already aware it doesn't mention the part number or show a schematic for the cable. Should I find that part number; I will certainly post it on the board. I have one other source that I will check with. I know they have a 2004D with the secure com capability. If there isn't a part number on the cable; I'll try to figure the pinouts. Thanks again for your help.
JohnDo

Post by JohnDo »

Great

I did try to figure out the pinouts, I recall making an excel sheet at the time however I cannot find it. I shall look harder for it.

I do recall it was not a straight through cable based on my research at the time.
Dick D
New User

Post by Dick D »

I am not surprised that it wouldn't be straight through. I got in touch with Motorola today. They did not have any part number or schematic available for the cable. They said they would try to check the archives. Meanwhile; I have a few federal sources that may have one of those cables that we can get a part number from. I'll keep checking and post the info should I find some answers to help solve this mystery. Once again; I appreciate your help.
JohnDo

Post by JohnDo »

I found the info I had created

use at your own risk

Service Monitor to KVL

15 pin D....................Key loader P4

14--------------------------1 GND
12--------------------------2 KEY
13--------------------------3 KID
15--------------------------4 WE
N/C------------------------5

From R2001D Schematic
1 = GND
2 = Balanced IN (+)
3 = Balanced IN (-)
4 = +5v
5 =
6 = BER
7 = Plain Text
8 = Single Encode Out
9 = Balanced OUT (+)
10 = Balanced OUT (-)
11 = WE
12 = KEY
13 = KID
14 = GND
15 =

From RTL4200A D15
1 = GND (RTL4200A Chassis)
2 = Balanced IN (+) (Right)
3 = Balanced IN (-) (Left)
4 = +5v
5 = N/C
6 = BER?
7 = Plain Text
8 = N/C
9 = Single Ended Output
10 = Balanced OUT (-) (Left)
11 = Balanced OUT (+) (Right)
12 = KEY (Programmer Pin2)
13 = KID (Programmer Pin3)
14 = GND (Programmer Pin1)
15 = WE (Programmer Pin4)
Dick D
New User

Post by Dick D »

John, this is an early Christmas gift! Thank you for finding your documentation. I will get out the connector catalog and figure out the male & female connectors that I need. Afer I assemble the cable; I'll let you know how it works out.
I appreciate your help!
Dick D.
JohnDo

Post by JohnDo »

That would be great, love to hear how you get on.

Merry Christmas to all

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”