Motorola R2670B

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Profix
New User

Motorola R2670B

Post by Profix »

I have a R2670B with no display. It is the version with the LCD display & apart from blank display or vertical lines on display sometimes immediately at power on, nothing else on display. It needed a new memory back up battery, which was replaced. The main processor board wasn't damaged by battery leakage. It makes a short confirmation beep at power on which I presume is suggesting that the main processor board is ok.

On the other pcb which has the LCD display interface has Epson SED1355F0A LCD/ External Display interface IC and a Motorola XPC823EZT75B2 Power PC processor. It also has the 15 Pin VGA port for an external display ( No external display either) and a DB 9 socket which I presume is a serial port. The board also has two jumpers and two tact switches.

I have checked the power supplies, the reset line and the two oscillators on the display interface pcb which seem to be all ok.

when the reference oscillator was set to External I don't get the confirmation "Beep" which suggest that the reference oscillator is ok. When the display interface board is unplugged from the flat cable, the unit start to beep continuously.

I feel that the fault is on the display interface board or the unit needs resetting or reconfiguration after the back up battery went dead.

I don't have a service manual, not even a block diagram.

A service manual, diagnostic procedure or any help at all is greatly appreciated.
jry

Re: Motorola R2670B

Post by jry »

it's not the processor battery. The worst that happens there is that you have to do a calibration on power up and looses all your previous settings.

the beep says the processor completed the boot up self test

You may be able to get a video card from Freedom Communications ...they bought out General Dynamics Satcom land mobile test equipment.
Profix
New User

Motorola R2670B

Post by Profix »

Thank you for your reply. Does the "Beep" suggest that the processor board is faultless?
The other board with the display interface seem to be the faulty one & I'm trying to find the fault on it. It seems to have more things than just the display interface, when it is disconnected, the unit doesn't beep once as normal but keeps beeping, may indicate that the "Self Test" didn't pass.
That board has the Epson SED1355F0A LCD/CRT controller IC and a Motorola XPC823EZT75B2 Power PC processor IC.
Not clear the role of the Power PC processor either.
jry

Post by jry »

The first single beep is normal and if the display was working you would see a one liner about passing boot rom self test.

If you unplug the display board the processor knows it since there is an jumper installed on the video card that signals that the option is installed.

If it doesn't see that bit/jumper you will get failure beeps since it has to have that option (unlike some of the other options cards ) to work.

It's just a passive jumper on the board so it doesn't really mean anything other than the video card is physically plugged in.

The Power PC processor actually is building the display "picture" in memory based on data from the main processor. This picture is then output to the LCD controller which then formats it for the LCD display and VGA outputs.
Profix
New User

Post by Profix »

Thank you so much for the explanation. It was very helpful.

I have figured that both the Epson LCD controller IC and the Motorola Power PC IC is available on Ebay if required.

I have BGA removal/ replacement facilities & experience if the Power PC processor or the LCD controller needed replacing but not knowing where the fault is, it doesn't seem to be a wise decision at the moment.

There are two surface mounted tact switches on the board as well. Do you know what they are for?

Also there is a DB9 socket on the board, is that a serial port interface to the Power PC processor?

Is there a way to establish if the Power PC processor is functional & the fault could be on the Epson LCD controller IC?

It also crossed my mind about possible dry joints on the Power PC processor IC which is BGA, can do a reflow but not doing anything until I hear back from you.

Can you suggest a diagnostic procedure for me to narrow it down to something?
jry

Post by jry »

The only diagnostic is to swap the boards.
I would be more inclined to replace the dynamic memory chips first.
The flash chips may be on the list before the Power PC but at this point its just speculation.
Did you contact Freedom Communications support to see if they had an exchange or new display card ?

The last version of the R26XXD should still be within the five year limit for repair parts.
Profix
New User

Post by Profix »

Hi Jry, thank you for your reply & happy new year too!
I'm based in New Zealand. Did contact both General Dynamics & Freedom Communications to obtain a service manual. General Dynamics sent the operating manual for this unit which is still handy to have. ( Hard to locate the correct one for the LCD version on the internet). General Dynamics said that was the only manual they had in hand.
Haven't heard from Freedom Communications yet, may be the holiday season.
Do you have any information on this particular video card to find out if the DB9 socket is a "Serial Port" & the role of the two surface mounted tact switches?
I also read that "Screen Capture" software is available for this unit. Would you know where I could get that?
Love to know one the unit is doing at the moment. It is like being blind!
jry

Post by jry »

The db9 is a serial port into the Power PC CPU IIRC. Not sure what if any functionality there was .

The two push buttons are a hard reset and a soft reset to the Power PC as well IIRC .

There was a Screen Capture as part of the r2600 utilities but not sure that would even work until the unit completes the boot process. Freedom may be able to send you that as well which also had the firmware.

One clue is that the squelch control does not unsquelch the unit ...no busy LED or sound until the boot completes ...often a sign that the 10Mhz clock is out as well but you will not get the initial boot-up beep if that was the case.
Profix
New User

Motorola R2670B

Post by Profix »

Although I get the "Boot Up Beep" the unit doesn't make any sound, can't be unsquelched. May be an indication that it hasn't quite completed the boot up process, despite the initial beep.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”