IFR-COM 120B Distorsion meter fail

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giancom120b
New User

IFR-COM 120B Distorsion meter fail

Post by giancom120b »

Hi all forum,

I have the problem in my com 120B:
DISTORSION METER FAIL

I changed all capacitor on BASEBAND TRAY and RECALIBRATE DEVIATION METER in calibration menu, this problem is not solved!

you have idea for solving this problem?

Thanks to all

Gianfranco
IW2NXE
giancom120b
New User

Re: IFR-COM 120B Distorsion meter fail

Post by giancom120b »

giancom120b
New User

Post by giancom120b »

This problem suspect only self test, distorsion and sinad reading is correct...
In a loop test:

jry

Post by jry »

If you search the board you will see previous posts on COM-120 self tests failures that provide some details on troubleshooting.

The short version is that this part of the selftest loops the audio gen out ( this signal varies for the distortion test ) to the signal gen to the rx and finally to the distortion meter.

Any issue in that loop can cause failures. Does not always mean your distortion meter is bad ...that's just what that test is looking at to verify the entire loop.

You can try re-capping and re-calibrating and see if that clears up the error.

That test should really be re-named "something failed" or "test everything " given the extent of what can cause a failure.
giancom120b
New User

Post by giancom120b »

I JRY very thanks for you answer.
I replaced full caps on BASEBAND TRAY and DIGITAL TRAY and recalibrate the unit ,this porblem is not solved.

Is possible to fault in receiver?
I'm testing receiver and ok!
how can testing loop signal?

This problem is a BASEBAND TRAY or CONTROLLER TRAY not read segnal loop test?

what do you think about it?

Best regard
jry

Post by jry »

I usually re-cap the front panel as well. may not have anything to do with this issue though.

You also have to clean the boards after the old cap is replaced since the leakage may cause issues either with an unintended DC path across that cap or surrounding circuits.

There are some details in other posts about how to setup the unit to simulate that selftest and troubleshoot. Basically you need to verify the RX, Signal generator and distortion meter.

You may have to scope the signals on the Baseband tray but the easiest way is to swap modules to isolate the failure

This is one of the more problematic errors to resolve since as I mentioned since there are a number of assemblies involved.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”