General Dynamics R2590 Service Monitor (Service/Support info)

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sparktastic
New User

General Dynamics R2590 Service Monitor (Service/Support info)

Post by sparktastic »

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there with any 'in-depth' knowledge of the R2590 Service monitor.
I own one of these units and despite it's quirks, I still find it a handy piece of field test equipment.

I know the R2590 was effectively orphaned off after GD/Motorola purchased the design from Link Systems.

Anyway, it seems a shame to see these still capable and reasonably well built service monitors die off for the lack of service information.

In particular, some calibration procedures and or circuit diagrams would be fantastic.

I have opened a Yahoo Group for the R2590 and have posted some preliminary information, but would love it if others could post anything they have too.

Cheers,
Rick
VE3HKB
New User

Re: General Dynamics R2590 Service Monitor (Service/Support info)

Post by VE3HKB »

I still use an R2590 on a daily basis and agree it does have its quirks.
However, I can't say that it was orphaned - mine was serviced by GD in Texas just a few years ago. It's my understanding that support for the R2590 officially ended before GD sold the division to Freedom. Calibration services and repair should still be available depending on parts availability. That's the case with the R2600 series as well.

Documentation has always been an problem.
The only PDF I've ever seen was the preliminary (A) version of the operator's manual. The printed manual never made it past the B revision. The service manual, including calibration procedure hasn't escaped the factory.

The biggest issue with the R2590 is it's rarity. It was built as a low-priced alternative to the R2600 series, much like the R2550 before it. There's just not much interest in keeping a machine intended to be "disposable" alive.
sparktastic
New User

Post by sparktastic »

Interesting..

I was told that the R2590 is actually a later (not necessarily better) design than the R2600 series, despite the model number.
The R26XX series were a Motorola 'in-house' design, whereas the R2590 design was originally produced by Link Communications in Billings, MT.
I'm not sure exactly what transpired, most likely through company buyouts/takeovers, but the R2590 design was transferred first to General Dynamics and subsequently to Motorola, who must have ran with the design for a short while, since there are a few examples around with both the General Dynamics (as per mine) and the Motorola logo.

Anyway, the R2590 design was derived from a slightly earlier model, the CSM-1000 which was produced by Link Communications in the late '90's.
I gather that not many of the CSM-1000's or the R2590's (with any company logo) were sold.

It seems that at some point in the early 2000's, Motorola decided to consolidate its RF test sets into one platform. The R26xx prevailed and the R2590 was discontinued and orphaned.

There must be someone out there who used to work for Link Communications, General Dynamics or Motorola who can provide some further detail on these things..

Here's hoping anyway. It's always a shame to see old, but still useful test equipment destined for landfill simply because the service information is either lost or withheld.
sparktastic
New User

Post by sparktastic »

The R2550 was another Motorola 'in-house' design.
Completely different to the CSM-1000/R2590.
jry

Post by jry »

The R2550 was just a firmware limited version of the R2600C. Same HW except a few tweaks to the cosmetics.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

sparktastic wrote:Interesting..

I was told that the R2590 is actually a later (not necessarily better) design than the R2600 series, despite the model number.
The R26XX series were a Motorola 'in-house' design, whereas the R2590 design was originally produced by Link Communications in Billings, MT.
I'm not sure exactly what transpired, most likely through company buyouts/takeovers, but the R2590 design was transferred first to General Dynamics and subsequently to Motorola, who must have ran with the design for a short while, since there are a few examples around with both the General Dynamics (as per mine) and the Motorola logo.

Anyway, the R2590 design was derived from a slightly earlier model, the CSM-1000 which was produced by Link Communications in the late '90's.
I gather that not many of the CSM-1000's or the R2590's (with any company logo) were sold.

It seems that at some point in the early 2000's, Motorola decided to consolidate its RF test sets into one platform. The R26xx prevailed and the R2590 was discontinued and orphaned.

There must be someone out there who used to work for Link Communications, General Dynamics or Motorola who can provide some further detail on these things..

Here's hoping anyway. It's always a shame to see old, but still useful test equipment destined for landfill simply because the service information is either lost or withheld.

I used one of these for years. Totally NOT anything like a R26XX series even if the model number is close. Had a 2670 in a previous life and it had way more options and features. The R2590 should still be supported by Freedom http://freedomcte.com/service-support/ as they bought the GD stuff out and they now produce the R8000/8100 line. Follow the support links and e-mail Doyle Wofford, he knows these things inside out.

Other than the 2590 not supporting digital, my only complaint was the frequency accuracy at 900 MHz was lacking. Unit I had was within tolerance but at 935.xxx was 162 Hz off frequency. I was supporting simulcast at the time so that just wouldn't fly.

Dave

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”