Motorola R2670A Hardware Questions

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sabersco
What radios do you own?: Saber III, HT1250, XTS5K, APX

Motorola R2670A Hardware Questions

Post by sabersco »

Hi , I am looking for hardware information on the R2670A service Monitor.

1-The monitor can have ad-on boards at the back of device , one would be trunking option board . what would be the purpose of the second board ?
2-Can the ECM modules (I guest they are the small boards on the last board) be moved on a monitor with only one board layer ?
3-What would be require to add ADP and AES to the ECM ?
4-is there a way to add options to monitor via eeprom flashing ?
Ive found a old tread with no reply (http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86007)
5-Is there a way to obtain ad-on monitor board firmware upgrade ?

Thanks
VE3HKB
New User

Re: Motorola R2670A Hardware Questions

Post by VE3HKB »

3 -I don't see ADP or AES listed in the original product description DES, DVP.
5 - maybe. A long time ago, 2002 to be precise, Motorola offered a Toolkit CD for the R26xx series.
It included a flashtool for firmware upgrades.
The CD I have is listed as Version 1.01, and is labelled "Includes: Toolkit Manager, Flashtool, Screen Capture Tool and latest Flash Files".
It does not list the specific versions and the individual files are zipped.
Any official support for this model has long ended, but limited support may still be available from Freedom or it's authorized service dealers.
sabersco

Post by sabersco »

Thanks VE3HKB for the info !!!
That CD is probably what I need; I think it would really help me. Worts a try…
Yes ADP (software encryption) and AES-256 were available for the R2670 I have seen KG menu with it. I do have a pic of it.

Still wonder if the Modules really require being installed the last backplane ad-on board since there seem to be 2 unused emc (UCM) connector in the first AD-ON Board which I suspect to be the “trunking board”.

Do you still own your test set ?

xtssco
VE3HKB
New User

Post by VE3HKB »

I've never owned an R2670 - I had ordered the CD in my previous life where I used an R2660.
I think the files are small enough I could probably email the contents, but burning a copy is also possible.
I have not tried any of the files, so I can't vouch for much. The last time I played around with R26xx software was in 1998 when the Test Equipment division still ran a BBS.
Unfortunately, I never bothered to download anything from the Motorola/General Dynamics website. Not sure what the latest version of F/W is or if it's still available.

In Canada, some support may still be available from Navair in Mississauga, ON. I've taken my work R2590 there a few times.

PM me with an email address
sabersco

Post by sabersco »

PM SENT !
sabersco

Post by sabersco »

the Motorola Toolkit CD for the R26xx series is only for later color screen model, this one require removing the U48 and U59 chips in the ad-on boards to update DSP.
Unfortunately I do not have V6.XX bin files for the P25 board.

Also the emc wont work on a trunking board. the DSP boards are the same as the P25 beside one module added and U48/U59 and the soldered feature chips U30 the other one.

a test set wont regonise the P25 DSP board unless the FW is compatible and the termination removed in the trunking DSP.

so the only chance here is to have the DSP bin file and write back to eeprom.
WB5ITT
What radios do you own?: Motorola, GE, Kenwood, Yaesu

Post by WB5ITT »

The P25 module was an add on option for the 2670...had it at a former employment (and it cost almost as much as the monitor alone!! :) )
Chris WB5ITT
Trustee, W5APX
Radio Communications Tech, TX DPS
Region 2 - Beaumont, TX
Motorola, you may find better but you'll never pay more! 😉
d119

Post by d119 »

If I recall it wasn't so much a P25 module as it was a P25 trunking module. The 2670 should do P25 in the box (probably as a software option) without anything hardware-wise added to it.
studsmerkel
New User

Post by studsmerkel »

Does anyone know for sure if the P25/Astro option is software programmable?

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”