Motorola R2600 options?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Motorola R2600 options?

Post by PETNRDX »

Anyone happen to know if the Tracking Gen option is just firmware or does some hardware need to be added also?
And while we are at it, same question on the Track Gen markers.
Mine has Track Gen, but would love to have markers.
A friend has Sweep Gen which would be nice to have in mine.
These things are not supported by Motorola anymore, anyone have experience with options upgrades in the past?
Maybe a list of what firmware supported what options?
Anything really.
Steve K.
sabersco
What radios do you own?: Saber III, HT1250, XTS5K, APX

Re: Motorola R2600 options?

Post by sabersco »

On R2600A the firmware and Option are stored in two different type of eprom.

The firmware is in 5 AT29C010 eprom (U2-U5)

The options are stored in ST93c46A chip U43.

I think only C-message and phase demod features require hardware mod .. But not the tracking Generator and Enhanced Spectrum Analyser they are software option only.
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

Thanks for the reply.
Exactly what I was looking for.
Steve K.
sabersco
What radios do you own?: Saber III, HT1250, XTS5K, APX

Post by sabersco »

In addition to this. I end up looking at the r2600 infos for you and all features , according to forums users, doesn't require upgrade beside cell phone .
ke6iyc1
New User
What radios do you own?: TOOOOO many to list

Post by ke6iyc1 »

Late, I know, but dealing with one...

Freedom Communications now is the 'owner' of the 2600 series.

Some repair and all calibration still available ($675 for 2600 $750 for other variants, cal only)

Trying to remove iDEN from a 2660D....

Brian
KE6IYC
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

ke6iyc1 wrote:Late, I know, but dealing with one...

Freedom Communications now is the 'owner' of the 2600 series.

Some repair and all calibration still available ($675 for 2600 $750 for other variants, cal only)

Trying to remove iDEN from a 2660D....

Brian
KE6IYC
Why bother. Unless you select it, the IDEt is just along for the ride. You do get the better timebase.

After comparing instruments I am sticking with my HP 8920A. The D's color is nice but the HP does things with more precision, I also like it over the !FR 1600 and 1900. What can I say, The Long Beach had HP.s and I am used to them. They also had a few of the noisy IFR 3920"s but I hated them.
dt0124
New User

Re: Motorola R2600 programming/options?

Post by dt0124 »

Hello group...

I have an earlier model R2600B with V1.04 software in U2-U5 (the UV EPROM's). I wish to add the tracking generator (any other options welcome!).

A friend has programmed new EPROM's with V1.07 images.

We did not touch U43 (the 64x16 bit, GG5126428A001 / NMC9346M8T/R EEPROM), which I believe now has STD 1.04 firmware. I have read conflicting reports that U43 may also need to be upgraded, but being that it is SMD, I am not skilled or equipped for SMD or PROM reprogramming. I do have a V1.06 firmware image for U43.

Several questions:

1. Having new V1.07 EPROM's is it required to reprogram U43 at all?

2. If reprogramming is required, how to get V1.06 firmware into U43 Is U43 reprogrammable via the analyzer's serial port? If so, what software?

Any help getting through this maze would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
DT
k0dan@comcast.net
jry

Post by jry »

actually on the very early R2600's there were two different ASIC's ...one with the tracking gen option and one without.
Later they went to a single ASIC ...late B's and C version always had the tracking gen ASIC.

You can run the 1.07 firmware on the A/B version but regardless of what options it shows as being installed the tracking gen function may not work and actually crash the software if the wrong ASIC is installed and that function accessed.

On the R2660X just disconnect the IDEN option and update the firmware ...allows the AutoTest Software to work with the R2660X base unit ( which is now a R2600XHS essentially )
dt0124
New User

Post by dt0124 »

Hi JRY, thanks for your reply!

So, how do I tell which ASIC I have?

AFAIK this R2600 was built around 1990 (?). A handwritten note in my folder says "Cellular C.01.01.02" installed", "not installed: tracking generator + cable fault". I think this might have been from the boot screen, or info screen? The note is in my handwriting, not dated.

FWIW the ASIC in my CPU board is a big LSI, about 1.5" square (see attached photo, if the mail host accepts attachments) and reads
S1-P306180881
A60068
(plus or minus vision errors...any 8 or 0 might be switched...sorry!)

It sounds like I'm to the point of putting in the new EPROM's and just trying it. If it works, hooray! If it doesn't work, am I up against a brick wall or do I have other options?

From your reply I gather this has nothing to do with reprogramming U43?

Many thanks,
DT
jry

Post by jry »

you need to have a U43 with those options enabled as well.
That EEPROM is model specific at the very least ( R2600A/B is different than the R26XXC/D) and in theory has some HW specific calibration data so make sure you keep a copy of your original one.
dt0124
New User

Post by dt0124 »

Thanks, JRY...
Back to my original post, if reprogramming U43 is required, how to get V1.06 firmware into U43? Is U43 reprogrammable via the analyzer's serial port? If so, what software? Being that U43 is SMD, I am not skilled or equipped for SMD or PROM reprogramming.
I do have a V1.06 firmware image for U43, which is reported to have the options I want plus is compatible with the V1.07 EPROM's I got.
Thanks,
dt
dt0124
New User

Post by dt0124 »

Sadly, the V1.07 EPROM's did not do the trick: Monitor powers up, fan runs, some LED's on panel blink, but nothing on the CRT. I ASSume this is related to the recent discussions about the ASIC and U43 (neither of which were touched). Put back my old V1.04 EPROM's, expecting to be back where I started, but monitor only powers up, fan runs, some LED's on panel blink, but nothing on the CRT. No smoke, nothing catastrophic.
I suspect, but cannot confirm, this may be a power supply issue, but I never went near any of the power supplies, CRT, or other HV and during the whole process, the monitor was not dropped or jostled. Lots of gentle T.L.C.
During the chip swap I removed all the necessary edge connectors, screws, etc., and made sure they were properly replaced and reseated.
I read a few old posts on screen problems, inspected the CRT & anode connections, etc., no joy.
Any suggestions? I'd hate to think I bricked this otherwise fully functional monitor!
Thanks!
dt
drb235
New User
What radios do you own?: Mototrbo and Kenwood

Post by drb235 »

Check the switch at the rear bottom of the monitor make sure it is set to internal 10 MHz and not external also switch it back and forth so it is making contact good that can cause the symptoms you described. David
dt0124
New User

Post by dt0124 »

Thanks for your reply David. I did check that, and toggled the switch several times, but will repeat. Will also reseat the internal reference. Also did the same drill with the AC/DC power source (just AC here, no battery).

I think the analyzer is not starting/completing the POST test. I have no display, so can't be sure, but the manual (sec. 14A-27) has a flow chart that says the speaker should beep (which it's not).

Since this unit worked 100% before I started messing with the PROM's, I think I'm gonna pull the processor board again, do another inspection, and recheck/clean edge connectors and ribbon cables. Seems to me it should be something pretty basic like this, but for the life of me I can't find the problem.

Will scratch my head some more and report back. Thanks...

dt
jry

Post by jry »

the monitor beeps on the C/D versions and not on the A/B version .

PM me if you want it repaired and updated

PS Always check the processor board battery and replace every few years ( better early than late ) since they can leak and damage ( read total unit ) the PCB.
dt0124
New User

Post by dt0124 »

Thanks JRY. I thought my R2600B beeped on startup, but oh well....in any case I have no display so very little idea what's going on, including the P.O.S.T.

As to the battery, yes, that was the first item of business when I started this adventure. Prior battery was pretty dead, but I observed no leakage or PCB damage.

I will contact you privately to discuss repair options.

Many thanks,
d.t.
drb235
New User
What radios do you own?: Mototrbo and Kenwood

Post by drb235 »

Hello, my name is David and I have 2 Motorola R2600C one has tracking generator installed and one doesn’t. One has 3.02 firmware and the other has 6.12 firmware. I copied the firmware EPROMs with the 6.12 and then programmed it to new EPROMs and installed them and I copied the he U63 EPROM and programmed the other U63 EPROM and when I powered it up it booted and it has the newer firmware version and works great but I don’t have tracking generator installed like I wanted. What EPROM are the options saved on in the 2600C model? Thanks any help would be appreciated, David

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”