IFR 1200S bit the dust

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mogman

IFR 1200S bit the dust

Post by mogman »

One of my beloved 1200S service monitors just bit the dust, I had noticed that I could not demod AM a while back but now it is totally gone wacko.
The processor seems fine, in that it boots up and I can enter frequencies, the frequency display seems to be working normal, but that is about where it ends, none of the controls above the freq. display get any reaction, mode,rec/gen,etc. the error meter never moves and the signal meter stays to the far right, the signal led is always dimly lit, the scope seems to be working as a scope but when it is switched to KC/DIV it illuminates above the top of the screen.
At first I figured easy fix, with this much dysfunction it had to be the power supply or something was pulling the supply down, a quick check on J1602 showed the -12V, +12V, 5V and 40V seemed to be fine so I am not sure where to go next.

A quick look through the manual reveled that whom ever wrote it and my brain waves do not whistle the same tune so I am going to have to get my head wrapped around it.
I had replaced the memory battery a couple years ago with a socketed setup that I have installed on several units, and may or may not have recapped this ones power supply in the past.
WB5ITT
What radios do you own?: Motorola, GE, Kenwood, Yaesu

Re: IFR 1200S bit the dust

Post by WB5ITT »

KG Electronics in Witchita KS is the place for 1200s....Kurt is a former IFR engineer who can repair those boxes...knows them like the back of his hand...
KGElectronics.com is his web site...tell him I sent you..

Chris Boone
WB5ITT
Chris WB5ITT
Trustee, W5APX
Radio Communications Tech, TX DPS
Region 2 - Beaumont, TX
Motorola, you may find better but you'll never pay more! 😉

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”