Tuner operation

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Tuner operation

Post by kcbooboo »

I'm trying to adjust the Frequency Warp on a CDM1250 mobile radio. This is my first foray into Motorola's Windows-based software; I'm quite familiar with MaxTrac RSS.

I read the softpots and selected the appropriate TX menu item. I keyed the transmitter and found it was 224 Hz low, so I bumped the softpot value up by one, and that made it worse, so I bumped it down 4 or 5 steps until I was within 30 Hz. I unkeyed the radio and pressed the "Program" button.

I rekeyed the radio and found that the frequency had not changed at all; it was still 224 Hz low. I repeated this procedure several times, finally giving up and exiting the Tuner program. Apparently it then sent something else back to the radio because the radio rebooted itself.

I started the Tuner program again and now the frequency was 215 Hz high, so I repeated the process and set it to within 30 Hz. This time after programming the radio I just exited Tuner and started it again. The radio is now right where I want it.

Is this normal - the radio not responding with the corrected frequency while Tuner is still active - or did I miss some critical step?

Bob M.
Jim202

Re: Tuner operation

Post by Jim202 »

The simple way of looking at this, is the radio needs to be programmed with the information for it to take the new values. Just because you pressed the program button, that doesn't mean the info was changed in the radio. You need to exit the program. At this point the information is sent to the radio and it gets changed. You will see the radio do a reset and then your good to go. Kind of hard to understand, but that's the way the software works.

It's also a good idea to read the radio again and then save the codeplug in the computer. This way you will have a saved, current version of what the radio actually has in it.

Jim
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Yes - saving the tuner values is always a good idea same as the normal radio codeplug data. I created a folder for that
and use the date as a part of the saved name.
fineshot1
NJ USA
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Thanks. I "assumed" that the Program button would do exactly that: program the radio, but as you mentioned, I apparently need to exit Tuner in order for the data to actually get sent to the radio. That was the only field I modified. I will read and save the codeplug with CPS next time I'm near the radio. I don't know if saving it with Tuner is the same as saving it with CPS.

I'll have to spend a bit more time reading the Tuner Help screens.

Bob M.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”