R2400A display

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

R2400A display

Post by arlojanis »

The bottom line on the right side display is missing many segments. This problem has been intermittent for a while. This time it looks like it will not correct its self. I have a R2200A that has some old age problems. Can some of the R2200 parts be moved to the R2400? If so which ones and what is involved?
"The world runs on radio."
jry

Re: R2400A display

Post by jry »

yes ...you could also try the "iron" trick to re-glue the flex to the PCB. I might try that first before pulling parts from another unit.

I used a small metal ruler and a soldering iron to re-glue the display flexes on the MTS and XTS ...have never tried on a R24XX though
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

arlojanis wrote:The bottom line on the right side display is missing many segments. This problem has been intermittent for a while. This time it looks like it will not correct its self. I have a R2200A that has some old age problems. Can some of the R2200 parts be moved to the R2400? If so which ones and what is involved?
The key phrase in your post is "are SOME of the parts" to which the answer is yes SOME parts are. Be very aware that the R2400A is a member of the R2200B family generation. The front panel of an R2200A IS NOT interchangeable with an R2400A. The 2200 and 2400 also has different processors, RF I/O modules, rcvrs and others.
Dave
jry

Post by jry »

The R2400 uses essentially the same service manual as the R2200 with a very small supplement.

The front panel is different primarily due to the added SA functionality in the mode switch.

The RF Interconnect, Wideband amplifier and IF boards are also different since that is where the SA feature was added.

The processor firmware may be a later version and the R2400 in general uses the later version boards which were common to the R2200.

The display LCD modules are the same at least according to the SM module list.
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

Yes the R2400A uses the R2200B maintenance manual with a small supplement added. However NOTICE that it is the R2400A & R2200B and NOT the R2200A. IF you compare the R2200A manual and the R2200B manual, module to module, you WILL SEE MORE differences than you realize. For instance, the receiver module, although the "A" version receiver will work in a "B" model, it WILL NOT WORK AS WELL as the "B" version because of the differences.
Dave
jry

Post by jry »

Good point ..the R2200A and R2200B do have differences on most module minor versions in the part number.

The core module part numbers didn't change but that still implies there were some minor changes done to a number of boards.

The receiver in the B really just improved the narrow mode selectivity ( added some filters and an amp to the narrow IF path ) and that module did have a complete change in part number.

As you stated the RX boards would be compatible between versions with the A version being less selective in narrow mode than the B

Never really paid that much attention to the 2200A vs 2200B and had pretty much considered them the same.
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

Just an FYI for all but good to remember......Whenever a Motorola model number has a suffix change (A to B, B to C, etc.) there was a major design change, component change, firmware/software change or a combination f those changes. The ONLY exception that I have ever seen to this was when they changed the processor module of the R2000D series to allow for the new (at the time) options. The reason for notchanging it to the R2000E series (at least as explained to me at the time) they didn,t want to increase the cost of the basic unit. This has applied to ALL Motorola products.
Dave

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”