IFR S1600 Beep codes

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GlennD

IFR S1600 Beep codes

Post by GlennD »

I purchased a military verson of the S1600 with an LCD display on eBay. I cured the 5V short but it now beeps BEEP, BEEP BEEP forever with no display. What is the problem or where should I look?
jry

Re: IFR S1600 Beep codes

Post by jry »

it almost sounds like you have multiple failures.

If you have another unit you can swap cards to verify but be aware that the LCD flash will work in a CRT display but you may have to move the processor and flash together.

Older 1600 firmware ( non ts4317 ) will not support the LCD display.

I hope your LCD video card did not fail.

You may want to verify all the power supply voltages as well
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I found a shorted cap in the shield area on the board next to the power supply. It was one of two tant caps. That is as far as I have taken this so far. I suppose the power supply crapped out so I guess the next step is to measure the voltages.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Well, it looks like I am screwed. I noticed the video card had a different SN so I put an analog one it. I now get the normal beep sequence but of course no video. It looks like the label on the unit was not correct and it was used as a parts doner.

All of the voltages were correct so it looks like the power supply held up.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Well, I checked the board for shorted caps and it checked good. I put the board back in and it worked. I can not get it to fail. I left it running. There is schematics in the back of the Mil maint manual on repeater builder. It looks like the shorted cap was on the output of the 15V tripler. Replacing it fixed the board but it is nice to see what I repaired.

The LED is OK but you have to look straight on. I think a bright CRT would be better but after all this time bright ones are few.
jry

Post by jry »

that's one of the advantages of the CRT version is the brighter and bigger display. Newer is not always better in some cases often just cheaper to make ( Motorola was infamous for this ). There was no choice in this case given the demise of CRT displays.

The TFT based screen versions are actually smaller and less viewable displays . lighter weight and better resolution though.

If it's on the bench use the VGA port to an external display. That's another advantage of that version is the native VGA support.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

So the LCD is VGA and not EGA. I will say that displays have improved over the years. I remember looking at an early Sharp showing a tennis match. The ball was invisible. My current Sony 4K TV has as good a picture as my plasma at higher definition.

The firmware is 6.07 I think, in any event it is 6.0?. That seems to be nearly current. According to the screen it has 1800 hours. Every thing seems to work but I still have it in the garage. I may reflow the oscillator since I did push on the connections.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”