M2660C

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GlennD

M2660C

Post by GlennD »

Recently there has been a flood of IDEN M2660's on eBay. I purchased one with a bad supply for $825 shipped. I found a PS board from a junked A unit in Hong Kong. I now have a cheap M2660C.

I will never use the IDEN stuff. Is it possible to remove it?
jry

Re: M2660C

Post by jry »

I think you meant R2660.

Normally the supplies are repairable.

There may be other issues once you get past the supply.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Your right, it was a R2660. I purchased a supply board from Hong Kong from a scrapped 2600A and it totally fixed the instrument so I am in it for around $900.

Everything was very clean but it was less the front cover.

From what I see on eBay it looks like Motorola shut down the IDEN depot and surplussed all of the equipment.

The IDEN stuff just makes the cal longer. The monitor works like a normal 2600. I think people are afraid that the unit only does IDEN like some of the cellular testers so the prices are really low.

Most units offered do not have the front cover.
jry

Post by jry »

I would go through the full calibration if you have the equipment to do so .

Normally I completely bypass the IDEN HW and update to use the standard firmware. One less thing to fail and reduced load on the PS.

Usually the processor battery needs to go as well while the firmware is being updated.

Check the fan too
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Well I guess I will just leave it.

I purchased a cable set from eBay intending to make up a load since the expected currents are in the manual. On a whim I asked the seller if he had a PS board available. He did and it was $39 plus $30 for air mail shipping. At that price I put aside repair plans. I have sense purchased the front and top cover to replace my scratched one but I do not count them in the total costs since they are cosmetic.

Of course the CMOS battery was dead. That is to be expected on a unit of this age. At least unlike the IFR1600S it is standard.

I have just got to stop making what I think is a low offer since when it is accepted you are committed. I have monitors on top of monitors. My mil IFR1600S was $750.
d119

Post by d119 »

Glenn,

I still have the IFR1600S I bought from you years ago. Used it the other day, still works like a champ! Thanks again!

I need to get that bag from you someday.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Yes, except for the size it is a good monitor. I currently have 2 1600s, one is mil with an LCD, 2 r2660cs's an Ifr 1200s, a R2001 with a bright disaplay, and a HP 8920A. All have front covers except the 1600s's. All are working.

My collection is getting out of hand. Good thing I do not really need the money. Funny I make around 15K less than when I was working but with no deductions I have several hundred more at the end of the month.

I also have several non working monitors.
d119

Post by d119 »

Let me know if an R2600 series comes up for sale... I'm most versed with those.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

eBay is currently filled with 2660's They are a 2600 plus. They have more memory, a better analyzer, and markers. They also come with the HS oven. In normal use it is a normal monitor. In display mode you can select the IDEN settings. If not selected they are really not there. In cal mode it takes a bit longer since last the IDEN module is calibrated. I will sell my b converted to c unit with front cover and mic for $1850. It is really clean and it looks like it was a bench unit. This is sold ASIS but it can be tested before purchase. This unit I "make offer" purchased for $1600 plus $80 shipped for the front cover. It was listed for $1950.

You should get a unit from eBay for about the same but you take your chance's. It may be fine or it may have subtle problems. All the seller can say is that it passes the internal self test. I purchased one for 825 shipped with a bad power supply. I sold it to a friend for $900 broken. Then I found a good supply board cheap so he is in it for less than $1000. On the other hand it could have been a parts doner and filled with bad boards. Worst case I think cal and repair flat rate is around $1300. David is a retired tech from Orange County and that was the favored shop unit so he got a very good deal on a unit he was used to.
d119

Post by d119 »

Wow... I think I'll stick with the IFR1600, R2021D/HS, R2410A and R220B :)
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

Good choice, The Motorola units are still good if you have a bright CRT. The 2600 series replaced them and was in turn replaced with the current offering.

The big problem with older equipment is the display. The Motorola units are made of unobtainum and the 1600 in military disguise went to a LCD since the original EGA CRT assy was no longer available and they still wanted the unit. I have a backup for my r2001D that has a bright display when it works. As it is it is a good parts doner. I really liked the 2001D but I am getting used to the 2600 where everything is selected with a CRT button or high lighted item. Just a different engineer team I guess. It does have better specs.

I made a very low bid ($1500) on a 1900 and it was accepted so late next week I will have jet another monitor. The seller had others that he offered me for $1800 so I do not know why my bid was accepted. One is more than enough!
GlennD

Re: R2660C

Post by GlennD »

Well my 1900 arrived and it works fine. I MUST STOP LOW BALL BIDS!. I low balled an HP spectrum analyzer and fortunately the counter was higher than I wanted to pay so I declined.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”