Appropriate cabling compliment for an R2001 test set?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

systemloc
New User

Appropriate cabling compliment for an R2001 test set?

Post by systemloc »

I picked up an R2002C/HS. Works nicely. Plan to recap it and grease/lube/dust/clean contacts and align the inside as appropriate. Getting a full manual from the guy on ebay that has them as there is no unabridged manual for the "C" revision I can find for free.

Unfortunately, it came with none of the accessories or wires. I snagged an extendable frequency counter antenna, a piece of LMR 400 with an N on one side and PL259 on the other for the RF input port. I need a 1X scope probe, external wattmeter, and BNC patch cables, some adapters, and three way connectors to round out the box. I'm not sure if the BNC inputs are designed for 50 or 75 ohm cabling. I figure either RG6 or RG8 patch cords should work. Probably doesn't matter too much as it seems most of what goes through those ports is DC or audio range, except when the scope or spectrum analyzer is in use, and in that case your using the scope probe.

Also, looks like it came with a 1X probe, but maybe a 10X would be better for decreased circuit loading?

Any opinions/advice appreciated.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Appropriate cabling compliment for an R2001 test set?

Post by Wowbagger »

I have one of these for my gear:
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... ualkey5748
Pomona Model 5748 adapter kit. Mates pretty much anything to anything else. Add a couple of cables:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pom ... s/5749-36/
and you can connect pretty much any form of RF connector to any other form.

Get a couple of dedicated cables for N to N, BNC to N, and UHF to N for power, and you should be set.

I'd add a set of attenuators:
www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pomona-Electronics/5513/

Because the attenuators in the test equipment may not allow you to get just right.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
jry

Post by jry »

I will pass on the same recommendation that I do for all service monitors.

Acquire a medium to high power 20dbm attenuator for the RF I/O input and use this for any measurements over 25W. ( yeah I know this is on the low side but we are trying to remove any thermal stress on the input device )

These are relatively cheap but can save the main input attenuator from failure due to the duty cycle being exceeded.

These are like $40 but replacing the internal primary power attenuator is $100's ( like at least $500) and in the case of the older units will actually save the unit from the scrap pile.

20db makes it easy to convert the power meter readings at X10.

Think of these as an external RF fuse. Much better to blow a $40 external device than the internal components.
systemloc
New User

Post by systemloc »

Great info, thank you so much.

The idea of protecting the input with an attenuator is brilliant. I probably would have eventually damaged the internal dummy load without that tip. Thank you for that.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Never try to attach LMR-400 to the front panel BNC connections. The weight of the cable will damage the connector on the service monitor. If you need that kind of cable for some reason, it would be best to use a section of some cable like RG-58 or RG-55 to make the connection between the service monitor and the LMR-400.

Jim
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I'm surprised Wowbagger didn't try to plug one of his Aeroflex Blue Streak cable sets: http://pdf.datasheet.live/datasheets-1/ ... C25068.pdf

They're pricey but worth every penny IMO, especially if you get the full complement of adapters.
systemloc
New User

Post by systemloc »

Jim- I only got the bit of LMR 400 with an N connector for power input testing on the RF in/outport. I take your warning plugging a heavy cable into the BNC connectors.

Otaku-That's a nice set of adapters!

Anyone think 75 vs 50 ohm cable/connectors matter for the BNC? Looking through the manual with the recommended test configurations, looks like just AF goes through anyway so not really critical to my mind.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

motorola_otaku wrote:I'm surprised Wowbagger didn't try to plug one of his Aeroflex Blue Streak cable sets: http://pdf.datasheet.live/datasheets-1/ ... C25068.pdf

They're pricey but worth every penny IMO, especially if you get the full complement of adapters.
That must have been out of Weinschel. They don't interact with our group so much - as in they don't even give us a price break on things. I didn't know about that product, believe it or not.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”