IFR 1600 test fails

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

flyinace09
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, AS+, etc.

IFR 1600 test fails

Post by flyinace09 »

I have a 1600 that fails self test 10 and 13: for scope period & level and CWT filter.
Looking through the maintenance manual and operator's manual is not much help and the specific tests cannot be extended to pinpoint the issue down any further.

Is this limited to a calibration or specific card or am I looking at a dud unit?
jry

Re: IFR 1600 test fails

Post by jry »

broken at least .

have repaired numerous ones with the CWT issue ...scope period not that often. those tests are each specific to an assembly in most cases.

Sounds like you have two bad boards.
flyinace09
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, AS+, etc.

Post by flyinace09 »

That was my assumption as well - but I cab't quite figure out which boards I would be looking at repairing or replacing. The service manual shows block diagrams and calibration/install guides but other than that it doesn't pinpoint the two failures enough. My issue is 1) tracing it down to the two boards then and 2)hoping one of the 2 dead units on my coworker's bench has the card in working condition. Past that I have all the tools to get it within 90% in calibration (enough for rough analysis and ham use).
jry

Post by jry »

be cautious when switching parts since there are some firmware dependencies / board revisions especially on the CWT failure.
That one is the Monitor ( first shielded board from the rear w ribbon jumper )assembly and the Scope error is the digitizer assembly ( I think ) which is the first board from the front.
Make sure your main and board firmware are the same between units ...that may be hard if they are dead though.

May just have to compare the part numbers on the assemblies .

You can put in a good Monitor card but the self test may fail due to revisions and other tests may fail due to calibration / adjustments after swapping. The updated /later card usually works on all firmware for at least the CWT test.

You really almost need a known good unit to work with on similar firmware.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”