IFR 1200S Options?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w9ac
New User

IFR 1200S Options?

Post by w9ac »

Is there an easy way to determine all options installed in an IFR 1200S? I searched the list archives first, but did not see an on-point post.

Paul
jry

Re: IFR 1200S Options?

Post by jry »

Not really all that easy since over the long production of just the 1200S there was a lot of variation. Some options were only available on later versions and some features that were optional on early versions are standard in the later ones.

On the early versions the options installed were part of the main SN tag. On later units there was a separate options tag on the back rear left.

The firmware version also gives some indication of the options installed and HW version...the last two digits provide information if tracking, trunking and other signalling like cellular are installed.
Most of those require additional HW or at least be mid to later units.

There is a number of HW updates over the years on the 1200S and the result is that there are three different firmware streams to support the differences. Older ones are usually on the 3.X version. This doesn't include the versions for the really early 1200 which was the basis for the 1200A/S

Owners of the older IFR's with internal battery option should remove those batteries if not used/tested on regular basis ( monthly ). These were optional on some versions but installed on most. About 99% of them are dead and potentially damaging the units they are still installed in.
w9ac
New User

Post by w9ac »

Good info. Thanks for sharing. My 1200S boots up with "5.3-00" So, looks like there's no tracking generator. Bummer...

I did discard the gel cell battery but saved the mating Molex connector with leads in the unlikely event I want to install a new one in the future.

Paul
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”