Aeroflex (IFR) Questions

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ke2d

Re: Aeroflex (IFR) Questions

Post by ke2d »

How does the power supply sequence? Is there some sort of special controller in the power supply?

Can you shed some light on the design of the PS, or how it goes about it's startup routine?

Thanks
ke2d
ke2d

Post by ke2d »

I didn't see any 25A Vicor modules in the data sheet for the VI-series. The largest is the 200w. Did he have to modify the heat sink screw taps and/or solder locations on the circuit board?

I plan to go ahead and order the original 200w module.

ke2d
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

ke2d wrote:How does the power supply sequence? Is there some sort of special controller in the power supply?

Can you shed some light on the design of the PS, or how it goes about it's startup routine?

Thanks
ke2d
If I remember correctly, the PSU is a purchased module - it doesn't have a software impact so I generally don't care about it (I don't have to control it - I don't care!)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

ke2d wrote:I didn't see any 25A Vicor modules in the data sheet for the VI-series. The largest is the 200w. Did he have to modify the heat sink screw taps and/or solder locations on the circuit board?

I plan to go ahead and order the original 200w module.

ke2d
Yes, the Vicor he used was one of the new tech units, and was actually quite a bit smaller physically that the one in the stock supply.

Some of those newer Vicors are brutal in what they put out - but that's the drive on the industry: smaller, faster, cheaper - WE WANT ALL THREE!

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
jgleonq
New User

Post by jgleonq »

Greetings from Venezuela

We have an IFR 2975 buyed in June 2008, actually it is giving this error message

Receiver Synthesizer is unlocked
Cannot relock
Manual Intervention Required

main status is unlocked
clean status is locked
step status is locked
ref status is locked
ERR 1

We contacted the factory and they replied saying to deliver the equipment for reparation in USA.
Since that´s mean we will run without it for a long time (thanks to Venezuelan custom Service) we wish to explore anything else we can do to try to fix this issue

We tried updating the firmware but still appear, after the error message the unit seems to work sometimes

Ane help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jose Gustavo Leon
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

jgleonq wrote: main status is unlocked
clean status is locked
step status is locked
ref status is locked
ERR 1

First, make sure you haven't selected "External Reference" (or that if you have, you are feeding a 10MHz signal into the reference port).

If that's not the issue, then you really do have a problem on the receiver tray - sorry.

Max

Post by Max »

First I want to state that I am not a qualified technician.I have a friend with a IFR COM-120B that has a memory card, tracking generator and other options.He claims it will need to be
Calibrated but it is almost dead on right now.
He has asked me to try and sell it on his behalf.What information would I need to provide about this unit to find out what kind of price it's worth ?

Max
I finally got the info.
Comm 120B Total usage time of 272 hours from new

That is only 11 days of usage.
Main software 4.15
Bios 4.10
GSP 4.14
Keyboard 3.01
DSP 4.12

Options

Generator High Output (Great for tuning duplexer's etc.)
New Counter (internal counter)
Tracking Generator
LTR
10hz Mod
F Filter (Optional RX filter)
Variable AF Generator #2
PCMCI memory card

Anyone know what this would be worth,and where would be the best place to list it for sale.
The unit is north of Toronto,Ontario.
Last edited by Max on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Do a Google search for the IFR 120B among used test equipment sales companies. Depending on the condition and installed options, your friend may make a decent price.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

One thing would be to get a list of options: Setup key, then select version. That will show you both the firmware versions and the installed options.

Many of the options are firmware, but a couple are hardware: the single sideband option and the 30 kHz IF filter option are the two biggest hardware options.

Protocols like AMPS, EDACS, MPT-1327, LTR are all software options, as is the tracking generator on the analyzer.

In a way, your friend should thank Aeroflex management: they've been buying back units and/or getting them on trade-in and crushing them, so the price may be a bit higher than it would be otherwise.

xmo

Post by xmo »

Doesn't that just break your heart to see a beautiful instrument crushed?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Hey wowbagger - love my 120B, hate my 2975. I want a hibernate state or some way for the test equipment to boot up quicker. I am used to site alignment procedures and ATP's that require all test equipment to be turned on and running for a half hour before beginning testing. I get paid by the hour. But, it is really frustrating to have a service monitor takes forever to be ready for work.

A built in mouse, glidepad, or Mr Eraserhead (ala Thinkpad) would be nice too.

Thank you

[/soapbox]
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Bill_G wrote:Hey wowbagger - love my 120B, hate my 2975. I want a hibernate state or some way for the test equipment to boot up quicker. I am used to site alignment procedures and ATP's that require all test equipment to be turned on and running for a half hour before beginning testing. I get paid by the hour. But, it is really frustrating to have a service monitor takes forever to be ready for work.

A built in mouse, glidepad, or Mr Eraserhead (ala Thinkpad) would be nice too.

Thank you

[/soapbox]
Well, the biggest slow-down is the disk IO system in the underlying operating system kernel (VxWorks) - a design choice I long ago came to regret. That choice also makes adding a USB HID device like a track pad impossible. As to anything being done to improve the 2975 - alas, it is unlikely to happen.

That said - I've learned from those mistakes, and believe me, I shan't repeat them.

Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

xmo wrote:Doesn't that just break your heart to see a beautiful instrument crushed?

or this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nXbBS3lVXU
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

O M G
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Max

Post by Max »

I had posted a question regarding a IFR Comm 120B some where,but can't seem to find it.I have a retired friend who owned a Motorola Shop and he asked me to look around and see if i could find out what his IRF would be worth today.He finally returned from Holidays and i received the following information regarding the unit:

Comm 120B Total usage time of 272 hours from new

That is only 11 days of usage.
Main software 4.15
Bios 4.10
GSP 4.14
Keyboard 3.01
DSP 4.12

Options

Generator High Output (Great for tuning duplexer's etc.)
New Counter (internal counter)
Tracking Generator
LTR
10hz Mod
F Filter (Optional RX filter)
Variable AF Generator #2
PCMCI memory card

Anyone know what this would be worth,and where would be the best place to list it for sale.
The unit is north of Toronto,Ontario.

Thanks

Max
radiotech57
New User

Post by radiotech57 »

Is it just me or are other people having problems with their 2975 boxes. Mine dosen't have that many hours on it and I am shipping back for the second time. It never leaves the bench and might get turned on once a week for a few hours if that much. I know there must be a boat load of them our there and I assume they all don't have such a bad track record.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

radiotech57 wrote:Is it just me or are other people having problems with their 2975 boxes. Mine dosen't have that many hours on it and I am shipping back for the second time. It never leaves the bench and might get turned on once a week for a few hours if that much. I know there must be a boat load of them our there and I assume they all don't have such a bad track record.
What, exactly, are the problems you are having?

radiotech57
New User

Post by radiotech57 »

The first time the hard drive went out and they think it could be the same thing this time or maybe a massive failure on one of the boards. Are they really that delicate? It's not like I throw it in the back of the service vehicle with my climbing equipment. Is there somthing more I should be doing to care for it?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Actually, I wouldn't be too worried about it rattling around your vehicle with respect to the hard drive: if it's off, the heads should be parked, and the G shock rating on notebook drives is pretty good.

All I can say is that Service hasn't really been beating upon my office (lack of) door.

k7wwa

Post by k7wwa »

Wowbagger

I would like some suggestions on where to start looking. I have an IFR-500A that appeared to work until I tried to use it below 10MHz. The generator output level is around 30 DBm low at 10MHz. As I increase the frequency the error decreases. When I get to 450 MHz it is almost the same as the Aeroflex 3500 that was used to measure the RF output. The 3500 is not mine so I need to fix the 500A so I can have a working service monitor. I did find a copy of the Maintenance Manual.

George
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

k7wwa wrote:Wowbagger

I would like some suggestions on where to start looking. I have an IFR-500A that appeared to work until I tried to use it below 10MHz. The generator output level is around 30 DBm low at 10MHz. As I increase the frequency the error decreases. When I get to 450 MHz it is almost the same as the Aeroflex 3500 that was used to measure the RF output. The 3500 is not mine so I need to fix the 500A so I can have a working service monitor. I did find a copy of the Maintenance Manual.

George
While I've been here a long time, NOT THAT LONG! The 500 predates me by a whole bunch!

However: I'd guess you may have a crack in on of the traces supplying the output, such that at higher frequencies, the capacitive coupling across the crack is sufficient to get the signal over. As you drop down in frequency, the capacitive coupling drops, and you roll off. If you can characterize the drop, and it works out to be 20dB/decade, that would tend to confirm my hypothesis.

I'd run through the output section, starting at the input to the final amp and working back towards the final mixer in the generator section. Check the solder connections, the cable connections, and so on.

k7wwa

Post by k7wwa »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am a bit suspicious of the 20 DB pad that the block diagram shows that is located inside of the output module. I know that in the past, most of the time this monitor was used on 450 and above so who knows how long this problem has existed. There is no calibration tag so who knows how long it's been since it was calibrated. Thanks again!

George
wpaperman
New User
What radios do you own?: Icom, Hallicrafters, Motorola

Installing EasySpan under Windows XP Pro

Post by wpaperman »

Good Day;

I am attempting to install EasySpan V2.2.1 on a computer using Windows XP Pro. When I try to open the program (which appeared to install with "no problems", I receive an error message "Cannot load (or register) custom control KNIFE.VBX".
Has anyone in the group had this problem? Is there a patch needed? Available?
The software has been operating with my COM-120A under W98SE with no problems.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dave, W5WP
Montgomery County (TX) ARES
Motoboy
What radios do you own?: HT1250 I saved from the dump

Post by Motoboy »

I have a question on the IFR2975:

I have gotten pretty well used to the scrolling wheel, and I know all of the buttons by heart (e.g. generator: 0-off, 1-on, 2-ptt). I have a PS/2 mouse that I use on the bench, but it would be better yet if I could control it with my computer. Is there any way possible to do this?
"I don't have a driver's license, either, and that never got me in trouble!" ~Customer
xmo

Post by xmo »

You will want to explore the 2975's web server and remote display capabilities. See pages 2-12 thru 2-14 in your 2975 Operation Manual [1002-4202-2P0].

You can manage files [such as screen captures] on the 2975 with your PC's browser. To use remote display you will need X-Windows [e.g. Exceed] on your PC.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Installing EasySpan under Windows XP Pro

Post by Wowbagger »

wpaperman wrote:I am attempting to install EasySpan V2.2.1 on a computer using Windows XP Pro. When I try to open the program (which appeared to install with "no problems", I receive an error message "Cannot load (or register) custom control KNIFE.VBX".
Well, I avoid Windows like the plague, but I can forward this over to the Apps group when I get into work.

For now:
1) Make sure KNIFE.VBX is actually on the machine. If it is, try running the following command from the command line:
regsvr32.exe KNIFE.VBX
(from the directory the file is in, naturally).

2) Try running the install as an Admin user: it wouldn't surprise me if the app is trying to do something that a normal user cannot do (remember, under 98, there was no concept of "users" per se - every user could do anything. Under NT/2000/XP/Vista/7, some users are more equal than others).

3) Worst case: you may be able to set up a win98 environment using VMware player.

I cannot promise anything - I don't think Easyspan is being maintained.

(also, egad! You are still running a 120A, not a B?)

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Motoboy wrote:I have a question on the IFR2975:

I have gotten pretty well used to the scrolling wheel, and I know all of the buttons by heart (e.g. generator: 0-off, 1-on, 2-ptt). I have a PS/2 mouse that I use on the bench, but it would be better yet if I could control it with my computer. Is there any way possible to do this?
As XMO said, if you install one of the various X Server programs on your machine, you can then tell the 2975 to create a display on your computer.

The steps are:
1) Install an X server, such as Exceed, or the Cygwin package (which is what I would recommend: http://x.cygwin.com/).
2) Start the X server.
3) Bring the 2975's web page up on your computer's browser. There will be a link there that will tell the 2975 to create a display on your computer.

If you do that, you will also be able to use your mouse's scroll wheel as the spinner on any open edit field.

wpaperman
New User
What radios do you own?: Icom, Hallicrafters, Motorola

Re: Aeroflex (IFR) Questions;EasySpan under XP

Post by wpaperman »

Thanks for the advice. I will try that today.

You mean avoid "Windwoes"? <g>. Waiting for time to implement a Ubuntu computer. Retirement takes up more time than a "real" job!
"KNIFE.VBX" is present on the XP machine.
I am the admin.
Tried running the "Windows 98" emulation mode. Same result.
The COM 120A was donated to me from a hospital when I retired. The hospital had already replaced it with two later model IFR's (a used "B" and a later analyzer, I think a 2978). I have been fighting more or less successfully, intermittently, a deteriorating Baseband PWB (Capacitors) for some time now. Would love to have a "B"! Raising money for a used anything, especially in this economy, is out of the question. The 120A is used to maintain our repeaters and volunteer (ARES) radios.
Being more into hardware a wild guess would be that I am trying to get 8 or 16 bit software to run on a OS looking for 32 - 64 bits.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave, W5WP
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Aeroflex (IFR) Questions;EasySpan under XP

Post by Wowbagger »

wpaperman wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will try that today.
Failing that: I'll PM you info from one of our FAEs who can help you out.

(edit: pull the FAE contact info out to PM)

KL770
New User

Re: Aeroflex 3920 USB support for APX

Post by KL770 »

When is Aeroflex going to release the patch for the 3920 Autotest II USB support on the Motorola APX7000 series of radios?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

KL770 wrote:When is Aeroflex going to release the patch for the 3920 Autotest II USB support on the Motorola APX7000 series of radios?
I'll see what I can find out, and what I am allowed to talk about.

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

KL770 wrote:When is Aeroflex going to release the patch for the 3920 Autotest II USB support on the Motorola APX7000 series of radios?
It's being worked on now - there are some technical issues that are blocking the work, but they are being worked on. I cannot give you an ETA, because of those issues.

MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

How many costs IFR 2975 (new, not refurb)? Approximate range...
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.
xmo

Post by xmo »

The 2975 is listed on the Aeroflex website as a discontinued product:

http://www.aeroflex.com/ats/products/di ... _Test.html
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

They've got a demo for sale for a cool $21k... http://www.aeroflex.com/ats/products/ca ... Sales.html
n8obu
What radios do you own?: more than i can list

Post by n8obu »

i have an ifr 1900csa that has a weird issue the display is inverted the r is backwards as is every thing on the display .. i had this happen a year ago pulled the top off reseated the cards in the rear and it was fine for a long time
the vga plug on the rear works fine so if the front inverts you can plug in an monitor and still use it i was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and is there a real fix ?
i blame this on the service monitor never leaving the bench if i have to travel a service monitor i take the old motorola...
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

n8obu wrote:i have an ifr 1900csa that has a weird issue the display is inverted the r is backwards as is every thing on the display .. i had this happen a year ago pulled the top off reseated the cards in the rear and it was fine for a long time
the vga plug on the rear works fine so if the front inverts you can plug in an monitor and still use it i was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and is there a real fix ?
i blame this on the service monitor never leaving the bench if i have to travel a service monitor i take the old motorola...
Likely it's the flex that runs from the flat panel controller to the panel. In the 1900, the old CRT was replaced with a TFT flat panel LCD to make room for the microwave downmixer. If that cable comes loose, you might see the bitstream from the LCD controller to the panel itself being screwed up, and/or the strapping to the panel that tells it whether to invert left and right and/or up and down be wrong.

NOTE: I'm NOT talking about the cable that runs from the video board to the panel assembly, but rather a cable INSIDE the panel assembly.

n8obu

Post by n8obu »

i thank you for the fast reply i guess next time it acts up i will look in to it . i realy love this unit i added an gps for the 10 mhz reference that was the only think i have ever felt it was missing.
thanks for all that you do here i have read most every post about the ifr's . thanks again mike b n8obu
a_j_b
What radios do you own?: HT1550XLS, CDM1550LS+, MTS2000

Post by a_j_b »

I have an AeroFlex 3920 in my shop and no one is terribly happy with it. It's only 4 months old and...

2 watt meters and an HP monitor say it reads 5 Watts low.
It frequently crashes/locks up when switching between digital and analog.
It's slow... painfully slow... switching between modes.
Various other software related issues and behavior that doesn't match what the manual says.
Guys who used the 2900 units really hate the 3920 because the GUI changed so much (or just enough to make it hard to navigate)

We just discovered the cal problem last week and it pushed us over the edge. I'll be calling AeroFlex today.
Public Safety & LMR RF Systems Engineer
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

a_j_b wrote:I have an AeroFlex 3920 in my shop and no one is terribly happy with it.
I'm sorry to hear that.
a_j_b wrote: 2 watt meters and an HP monitor say it reads 5 Watts low.
I'd need a bit more info on that to help. Is there any modulation? What frequency band? What power levels? Are you using the wide band power meter or the narrow band power meter?
a_j_b wrote: It frequently crashes/locks up when switching between digital and analog.
It's slow... painfully slow... switching between modes.
A fact that has been bedeviling my coworkers for some time. There has been progress in fixing this internally. I really cannot say more as I am not directly involved anymore.

GlennD

Post by GlennD »

We have 4 3920s. The one I was forced to use read high on the wattmeter unless you ran the user cal. After that it was ok for a while.

Our manager came to me and asked me to measure a radio. I told him it would be 2min36sec till I could measure it since I leave the noisy box off when not using it. He got really mad and said that if I was not using the monitor, he would give it to someone else. He was shocked when I said great! I am back with my HP and very HAPPY.
n8obu

Post by n8obu »

ok need help again my ifr 1900 csa is failing the following test
16 power meter
17 antalizer level
18 am mod
21 fm mod
all else is well i guess i just noticed that when i was checking a reciever that it was off as far as telling me when it had an full quieting singnal should have beed like -120dbm and took untill -80
so i ran a self test ..
thanks for your input
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

n8obu wrote:ok need help again my ifr 1900 csa is failing the following test
16 power meter
17 antalizer level
18 am mod
21 fm mod
all else is well i guess i just noticed that when i was checking a reciever that it was off as far as telling me when it had an full quieting singnal should have beed like -120dbm and took untill -80
so i ran a self test ..
thanks for your input
Sounds like you've blown the input - likely blown the first mixer on the receiver module. You can check all the RF coax runs and make sure nothings loose, but....

n8obu

Post by n8obu »

thanks i was hoping there was an easy out
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

There is one other possibility, that depends upon whether you were using the 1900 to drive itself or using an external signal generator. If you were using the 1900 to drive itself, it might be the generator is bad - that would cause the same self test failures.

But if you were using an external sig-gen to test.... dead rx.

n8obu

Post by n8obu »

i was using the irfs i guess i should input an singal from my motorola and see what level is displayed that would tell me if the reciever is off
and then generate and see what level the motorola see's.
that will tell us were it is sick
ve2jfq
New User

Post by ve2jfq »

the self-test failure, 16-17-18-21 is the 1900 does not generate anything. there are several possibilities.
it starts with the first lo. see if all the voltage is there first, and unplug the output of this
first LO. connect this to high frequency counter, go to GEN mode, select TR, no mod. RF
100mgh, o db. on your f counter, see if you have 1.4 G He added 1.3g of the signal applied.

if the signal is ok, contact me for more information

jacnat@videotron.ca

Thanks

Jacques
rfimage

Post by rfimage »

Have a Ifr-Com-120a with a bad baseband tray- we think the caps have leaked on the board causing the Distortion test on start-up to fail- I was told this is a factory defect based on bad caps on the baseband tray-has anyone had luck with IFR fixing this board or replacing the factory defective board- does anyone know if there is a place to get a replacement board or someone who can fix the board- I think the replacement card is $1400- wow- is there other owners know of this problem- or someone who thinks Thayer can fix the card?
Paul M Zeppa/RF Imaging and Comm Inc
1-702-248-0414
fax 1 702-248-2645
paul@rfimage.com
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

A couple of years ago my 120 had the same problem, and the guys in Service fixed it for me. I *believe* they still will do that for customers (obviously, Service will do things for me they won't for you).

I also know one of our techs took his BB tray, replaced all the electrolytics with tantalum, and has it working, but if your caps have damaged the traces that will be harder.

rfimage

Post by rfimage »

Just trying to find a Option that will not cost $1400.00-Trying to find some guys who repair the Com-120A/B units- we have a guy Kurt Graber with can repair 1200/1500- Just not worth spending $1400 on this older Com-120A
So we keep searching and searching -I have looked at the board and need to see if i have a way to desolder the caps with out damaging the board- not good at this- I have always wondered why IFR can noit step and help customers
when it is well known that this was a defective part and at leat sell the boards at a discount say $300 to $400 and not $1400-I know of atleat 10 people who have had the same problem
Paul M Zeppa/RF Imaging and Comm Inc
1-702-248-0414
fax 1 702-248-2645
paul@rfimage.com

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”