Aeroflex (IFR) Questions

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Aeroflex (IFR) Questions

Post by Wowbagger »

svales96 wrote:Hello, I have a COM-120B, the problem is that, when testing a radio's frequency, it is giving a lecture and suddenly it gives another different and lower lecture, could the problem be in the reciever tray?
I am not sure what you mean by "a lecture" - do you mean a reading? and if so, what reading? RF error, power level, deviation, or what?
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
KN4HH
New User

Post by KN4HH »

Thanks for the information. Is it possible to remove whatever options are preventing the 1600S receiver from operating in ssb mode?
svales96
New User

Post by svales96 »

Sorry, I mean, we are using the COM120-B to calibrate some radios but, sometimes when it is showing us the RF measurement, it suddenly shows a different and lower one.
I hope you can help us, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

KN4HH wrote:Thanks for the information. Is it possible to remove whatever options are preventing the 1600S receiver from operating in ssb mode?
It wouldn't matter if you disable the NAMPS option - if you have that option you don't have the hardware installed to support SSB.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

svales96 wrote:Sorry, I mean, we are using the COM120-B to calibrate some radios but, sometimes when it is showing us the RF measurement, it suddenly shows a different and lower one.
I hope you can help us, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Which measurement?

svales96
New User

Post by svales96 »

Of what we have plugged to T/R RF IN/OUT.
KN4HH
New User

Post by KN4HH »

Wowbagger wrote:
KN4HH wrote:Thanks for the information. Is it possible to remove whatever options are preventing the 1600S receiver from operating in ssb mode?
It wouldn't matter if you disable the NAMPS option - if you have that option you don't have the hardware installed to support SSB.
I'm sorry to ask elementary questions but I am having trouble understanding the 1600S configuration. The OEM data sheet specifies that NAMPS is not an option but rather a part of the basic unit. The data sheet goes on to give SSB mode specifics such as LSB,USB and their respective bandwidths. Am I to understand that the customer must specify not only options but also basic functions.
Thanks so much for your insight. It is very much appreciated.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

KN4HH wrote:
Wowbagger wrote: I'm sorry to ask elementary questions but I am having trouble understanding the 1600S configuration. The OEM data sheet specifies that NAMPS is not an option but rather a part of the basic unit. The data sheet goes on to give SSB mode specifics such as LSB,USB and their respective bandwidths. Am I to understand that the customer must specify not only options but also basic functions.
I will admit I may be wrong on the 1600 (I can check with folks at work next week) but on the COM120-B borrow band AMPS needed a different filter, an I believe that is the case on the 1600 as well - AMPS is built in, but I think Names needs a filter. Likewise, I know SSB requires option hardware on the COM120-B, and I think that's the case on the 1600 as well.

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

svales96 wrote:Of what we have plugged to T/R RF IN/OUT.
The COM120-B can make about twenty different measurements on a radio, like I said in my first reply. I need you to be specific about which measurement you are having problems with: frequency error, power, deviation, or what.

KN4HH
New User

Post by KN4HH »

Wowbagger wrote:
KN4HH wrote:
Wowbagger wrote: I'm sorry to ask elementary questions but I am having trouble understanding the 1600S configuration. The OEM data sheet specifies that NAMPS is not an option but rather a part of the basic unit. The data sheet goes on to give SSB mode specifics such as LSB,USB and their respective bandwidths. Am I to understand that the customer must specify not only options but also basic functions.
I will admit I may be wrong on the 1600 (I can check with folks at work next week) but on the COM120-B borrow band AMPS needed a different filter, an I believe that is the case on the 1600 as well - AMPS is built in, but I think Names needs a filter. Likewise, I know SSB requires option hardware on the COM120-B, and I think that's the case on the 1600 as well.
Thank you. I have attempted to leave Aeroflex technical support a message on their site. I will see what they advise me regarding the 1600S configuration. I sent them a message under my L.L.C so hopefully I will get a response. I don't want to bog you down with any research so I'll see what the technical support folks provide.
Again I appreciate your willingness to assist us on this reflector.
svales96
New User

Post by svales96 »

Wowbagger wrote:
svales96 wrote:Of what we have plugged to T/R RF IN/OUT.
The COM120-B can make about twenty different measurements on a radio, like I said in my first reply. I need you to be specific about which measurement you are having problems with: frequency error, power, deviation, or what.
Frequency error
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

svales96 wrote: Frequency error
Frequency error takes time to settle, especially after keying the radio. The first readings will contaminated by the lack of carrier - give it a couple of seconds to make the reading. Also, if there is any modulation of the signal - voice, CTCSS, data, or whatever - you will need to increase the measurement time to be larger than any modulation's rate of change, so as to average out the effects of the modulation.

KN4HH
New User

Post by KN4HH »

I saw an inquiry posted back in 2009 asking for 1600S option definitions. I did not see a reply with the information so I will ask if anyone has been able to find out anything. My 1600S has options 21, 35, and 36. I would like to know their definition.
Many thanks and Happy new Year to all.
billragsdale
New User

Post by billragsdale »

On an IFR 1900 CSA, Serial 4100, Ver 4.00 [4-28-1999] is the VGA monitor port active? Is a menu selection needed to activate? The VGA connector shows no output. Mine has a small metal plate over the connector.

Thanks, Bill Ragsdale K6KN.
jry

Post by jry »

always active. Plate is there to protect the contacts from dirt and damage.
There is a cable internal that may have gotten disconnected or you have an issue on the video card
jry

Post by jry »

but chances are it's something external in your setup if the main display is working OK
KN4HH
New User

Post by KN4HH »

Sorry, folks, I have another elementary question. The stickers on my 1600S indicate that options 21, 35, and 36 are installed. However, when I go to the Configuration Report, only option 20 is displayed. Is it safe to assume that the only option currently installed is indeed 20?
Thanks for the education.
svales96
New User

Post by svales96 »

Wowbagger wrote:
Frequency error takes time to settle, especially after keying the radio. The first readings will contaminated by the lack of carrier - give it a couple of seconds to make the reading. Also, if there is any modulation of the signal - voice, CTCSS, data, or whatever - you will need to increase the measurement time to be larger than any modulation's rate of change, so as to average out the effects of the modulation.
Ok, thank you very much for the advice, we'll try that. :)

Greetings from the south!
jry

Post by jry »

the option field on the configuration report shows the software option field. Usually this is 00000002 which has the file system enabled. Believe the rest of the bits there are for cellular protocols or options...not really that useful anymore IMHO.
Bottom line is that the option bits do not have to reflect the tag which may have other HW items like the HS OCXO and the expansion box capabilities ( once again really for cellular and obsolete ).
If you go to user files you may not be able to see anything if the option is really 20 since the internal file system is not enabled.
This is needed for other software like EasyScan and EasySweep that run internal to the 1600 and installed separately.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

KN4HH wrote:Sorry, folks, I have another elementary question. The stickers on my 1600S indicate that options 21, 35, and 36 are installed. However, when I go to the Configuration Report, only option 20 is displayed. Is it safe to assume that the only option currently installed is indeed 20?
No, it is not safe. Some options that are purely hardware won't show up in the software list (e.g. there are options for different frequency references - TCXO, OCXO, Rubidium standard - they don't have a software impact and aren't listed in the software).

KN4HH
New User

Post by KN4HH »

jry wrote:the option field on the configuration report shows the software option field. Usually this is 00000002 which has the file system enabled. Believe the rest of the bits there are for cellular protocols or options...not really that useful anymore IMHO.
Bottom line is that the option bits do not have to reflect the tag which may have other HW items like the HS OCXO and the expansion box capabilities ( once again really for cellular and obsolete ).
If you go to user files you may not be able to see anything if the option is really 20 since the internal file system is not enabled.
This is needed for other software like EasyScan and EasySweep that run internal to the 1600 and installed separately.
Thanks so much for the explanation of the configuration report readout. So now I will continue my quest to find an option definition for what is installed. Two weeks since I sent an inquiry to Aeroflex.
KN4HH
New User

Post by KN4HH »

Wowbagger wrote:
KN4HH wrote:Sorry, folks, I have another elementary question. The stickers on my 1600S indicate that options 21, 35, and 36 are installed. However, when I go to the Configuration Report, only option 20 is displayed. Is it safe to assume that the only option currently installed is indeed 20?
No, it is not safe. Some options that are purely hardware won't show up in the software list (e.g. there are options for different frequency references - TCXO, OCXO, Rubidium standard - they don't have a software impact and aren't listed in the software).
Many thanks, Wowbagger. Is there any way that the box can detect and report the hardware configuration?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

KN4HH wrote: Many thanks, Wowbagger. Is there any way that the box can detect and report the hardware configuration?
Again, not always.

msingewald

Post by msingewald »

Hello All,

I have a 1600S who's Spectrum Analyzer seems to have an issue. When I set the Scan to 10MHz or wider, the display shows about 8 signals of equal amplitude and equal spacing. This is with a 50 ohm load on the antenna input. If I try to scroll the frequency towards the peaks, they disappear as they get close to the center frequency.

We pulled the power supply and checked the capacitors, and they all checked out. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I have an IFR 1900 that i use for amateur radio and commercial/public safety radio repair usage.
The TR connector has a warning label of a 50W max and some of the base stations i may need
to connect up to that connector are about 100W or 110W so i am assuming i am gonna need an
attenuator of about 30DB/100W on the TR connector before attempting that. What is normally
used in this configuration(attenuator wise)? It seems to me a 3DB range would be too much of a
risk if the transmitter power out is more than thought to be.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

If you can get a 6dB or 10dB pad you will probably be much happier, since you will have a degree of safety margin.

OR, you can go the cheap-easy-sleazy approach: if you have an oil-filled dummy load (e.g. the MFJ), you can put a BNC connector into it, and put a small probe loop inside. That will couple to the RF, and give you an uncalibrated, but attenuated signal out.

Then, you can perform a calibration at the frequency of interest: take your HT, put it on that frequency, feed it directly into the service monitor, and take a power reading. Then, feed it into the dummy load, and connect your newly added probe port to the service monitor, and measure the level that way. Subtract one from the other (in dBm, of course) and you get the attenuation of the can. You can now run the measurements.

I did that when I was working on a 300W tube PA with my COM-120B.

You can also do something like that if you have an isotee (e.g. http://urgentcomm.com/test-and-measurem ... -one-these, or if you have a Pomona connector kit (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pom ... 5LgHWzRSbj)), you can use the isotee and a dummy load to do the same thing.

(if you have a 1900, you REALLY should get the Pomona kit - best $370 you will ever spend.)

Will

Post by Will »

We use the type N ISO T which is from RF Connectors.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Wowbagger wrote:If you can get a 6dB or 10dB pad you will probably be much happier, since you will have a degree of safety margin.

OR, you can go the cheap-easy-sleazy approach: if you have an oil-filled dummy load (e.g. the MFJ), you can put a BNC connector into it, and put a small probe loop inside. That will couple to the RF, and give you an uncalibrated, but attenuated signal out.

Then, you can perform a calibration at the frequency of interest: take your HT, put it on that frequency, feed it directly into the service monitor, and take a power reading. Then, feed it into the dummy load, and connect your newly added probe port to the service monitor, and measure the level that way. Subtract one from the other (in dBm, of course) and you get the attenuation of the can. You can now run the measurements.

I did that when I was working on a 300W tube PA with my COM-120B.

You can also do something like that if you have an isotee (e.g. http://urgentcomm.com/test-and-measurem ... -one-these, or if you have a Pomona connector kit (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pom ... 5LgHWzRSbj)), you can use the isotee and a dummy load to do the same thing.

Thanks WB - i will most likely go with the 10dB attenuator pad
(if you have a 1900, you REALLY should get the Pomona kit - best $370 you will ever spend.)
fineshot1
NJ USA
msingewald

Post by msingewald »

Looking at this more closely, I see that the phantom spikes are connected to the Scan setting.

If I have the analyzer set for 5 MHz, the first spikes are 5 MHz above and below center frequency and then the next spikes are 10 MHz away from those. If I use a scan of 10 MHz, the spikes are 10 MHz away from center and the next ones are 30 away from those. Using a scan of less than 1 MHz doesn't reveal any spikes.

Any suggestions?

msingewald wrote:Hello All,

I have a 1600S who's Spectrum Analyzer seems to have an issue. When I set the Scan to 10MHz or wider, the display shows about 8 signals of equal amplitude and equal spacing. This is with a 50 ohm load on the antenna input. If I try to scroll the frequency towards the peaks, they disappear as they get close to the center frequency.

We pulled the power supply and checked the capacitors, and they all checked out. Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help.
scotto
New User

Post by scotto »

Hello,
I know about the capacitor plague in the com-120's, but which type of Tantrums do you recommend? There are so many varieties such as ESR, Tolerances, Temp. and so on. I only want to it once. I have two 120A's and one 120B. Only the A's have this cap problem.
Thanks for any help
ScottO
scotto
New User

Post by scotto »

Hello,
I'm replacing caps in our COM-120A's.
What type of Tatum caps do you recommend for replacements on the audio, digital, and base band boards?
There are many varieties of them such as ESR, tolerances, heat range, ect.
Thank you for any help.
Scott
KC7BAE
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

ESR and heat range I wouldn't get excited over - what you put in will likely be as good if not better than what is there now.

Keep to about 10V for things like the baseband tray (unless what is there is already rated for more than 10V).

drdslam
New User

Post by drdslam »

The COM-120 series was never my field but i did see them and spent a little time with them. There was a series of spec an's that used the exact same front panel layout but different displays, and although the case was of the same shape and used the same back panel more or less, they were 100 percent different.Other than the front and back-and one had a longer case-the internals were totally different. As was the power supply.

At any rate if there were enough COM-120s in the field to make it worth the while, I'd bet a Rasberry Pi would have more CPU power than the original tray by a wide margin and someone ( a good embedded programmer) could/ought just write a whole new software suite for it. As long as they didnt use Aeroflex code Aeroflex would have F-all to say about it. I think the service manual and a few hours spent decoding the I/O to the various other trays would enable someone to code a whole new software suite in a few days with modern toolsets. I don't know if the Ras has enough I/O select lines but you could fit a Ras (credit card size) and a big multiplexed I/O board in there. They could then put in all the options the hardware fit could support unless you needed something under license like EDACS....do they still use that? :-) You could also do all the stuff the set should have but didnt because they didn't want it competing with the avionics boxes or higher $ units.
WA6OXN
What radios do you own?: Saber, Astro Saber, Micor, Mot

Post by WA6OXN »

Wowbagger,

I'm just curious if IFR/AEROFLEX/COBHAM here in the USA can repair all the analyzers that Cobham sells now, including the LTE test sets?

Or, is there a list of analyzers/test sets that are set here for the USA and the others go overseas to England?

I have a client that has an Aeroflex 7100 LTE test set that just sits as their "not sure" about it being in calibration.

So I kind of started thinking about how Motorola started shipping repairs across the border...

What say you?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

WA6OXN wrote:Wowbagger,

I'm just curious if IFR/AEROFLEX/COBHAM here in the USA can repair all the analyzers that Cobham sells now, including the LTE test sets?

Or, is there a list of analyzers/test sets that are set here for the USA and the others go overseas to England?

I have a client that has an Aeroflex 7100 LTE test set that just sits as their "not sure" about it being in calibration.

So I kind of started thinking about how Motorola started shipping repairs across the border...

What say you?
Anything currently sold we can cal in Wichita.

rangrdoug
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by rangrdoug »

Ok, I know this is a longshot but I'm going to throw it out to the group. I am in need of a front cover for a 1200 S . Anyone have one collecting dust they would part with? Or know where I can get one?

Thanks
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I had a strange thing happen with my IFR 1900CSA. I usually do not leave it plugged in
when not in use and it has since i got it(2 or 3 years ago) always worked well and out of
the blue this happened. Yesterday i turned it on and prior to that it had been plugged in
to my APC 2200 UPS over night by accident. When i powered it up the display was upside
down and there were horizontal lines all through it. I turned it off and much later turned
it back on after plugging it back in to MY UPS power and it was working fine.
Perhaps a power supply issue?
fineshot1
NJ USA
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

fineshot1 wrote: When i powered it up the display was upside
down and there were horizontal lines all through it. I turned it off and much later turned
Sounds like the actual LCD panel got a glitch when you switched it on, glitching the lines that control inverting the display and the display scaling. When you switched off and back on it reset.

That's a weird one - I didn't see that behavior when we first did the conversion from the Trinitron bottle in the 1600 to the LCD on the 1900.

n0czv
New User

Post by n0czv »

I am looking for the spinning encoder for a 1600S, part number in the manual is a Panasonic EWT-XAAS2025B. Google searches have been fruitless. The original is in two pieces

I am hoping that Aeroflex has them. Any suggestions for getting ahold of someone, and would they sell me one?

I had ordered parts from IFR years ago for a 1000, a pre A model, with a phone call.....

Thanks

Steve, N0CZV
thedeval
New User

Post by thedeval »

fineshot1 wrote:I had a strange thing happen with my IFR 1900CSA. I usually do not leave it plugged in
when not in use and it has since i got it(2 or 3 years ago) always worked well and out of
the blue this happened. Yesterday i turned it on and prior to that it had been plugged in
to my APC 2200 UPS over night by accident. When i powered it up the display was upside

I actually have 3 units that are doing this exact thing... (one is upside down, and two are flipped/read from right to left)

If I let run for 20 mins or so, they will correct themselves all on their own....

not sure of the cause/fix... but I can confirm such an event...
lc4600
New User

Post by lc4600 »

Com-120B or Com-120A baseband board main power supply rails are at +/- 10.5 vdc. I would use 16 volt caps
Carl NØPXJ
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Hey Wowbagger can you get your customer service department to get their act together? I have been on hold for literally 45 minutes this morning, and then when I call the operator I get a message saying the office is closed and that normal business hours are 8am to 5pm CST. Plus the spewing message about how all agents are busy every 30 seconds....has anyone from Cobham actually ever waited on their own hold line? Good lord I don't need to be reminded every 30 seconds that Cobham doesn't have enough coverage to man the phones during normal business hours

Correct me if I am wrong, maybe my time zones are off, but the internet says the office should have opened more than an hour ago. Maybe Cobham runs off UK time or something? Good thing I only need attenuators, if I was after an actual test set I would be extremely disappointed with this disorganization and question the wisdom of spending any serious money with Cobham.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Oh cool these "professionals" have shut down the operation entirely til the 10th.

And nobody thinks to put it on the recorded phone message or the website or frankly anywhere else a customer can see it?

Only the MR knows why nobody answers the phone lmao, what a sad way of running a billion dollar company
xmo

Post by xmo »

Fortunately, other people make attenuators!
TECH1200
New User

Post by TECH1200 »

Hello Wowbagger
I was a 1200 tech for a private company (we had 150 1200 boxes) and went to Wichita twice for training. Perhaps I can help with repair advice on the 1200's. The new place I work out of has a Com 120B with 2 problems. I have the maint./cal manual but the block diagrams help only up to a point (no I won't give out the passcode either). First the box will turn on but won't turn off with the front button. Obviously not the switch itself. It seems to end up in the controller tray. Second problem is with the analyzer display. On GEN or REC it sweeps a couple of times and then freezes and the spike is about 3.5 Mhz off center. I've looked at the coax frequencies and levels on the top of the analyzer tray and they seem OK. The box passes all selftests and otherwise works fine. On frequency on generate and receive. Any ideas. The guys in the shop have probably seen these faults a thousand times. Thanks for any insight.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

It sounds like system controller issues - that's what drives the analyzer sweep. Does the scope work? If you set the analyzer to zero span does it work? If you change the span on the analyzer does it start sweeping?

TECH1200
New User

Post by TECH1200 »

Thanks for the reply. Yes scope works. Zero span will sweep when you change ms/div. If you change span it will start sweeping then stop. Then go to zero span and change ms/div. will start to sweep continuosly. I can get it to sweep continuously only in zero span.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Hmph. I'm trying to remember how the differences between scope, zero span, and normal analyzer differ on the state machine that drives the sweep, and what would cause that behavior. If you go to the diagnostics page, are any of the loops showing unlocked when it stops?

TECH1200
New User

Post by TECH1200 »

AHA- Synth lock test shows analyzer unlocked. So perhaps a bad loop. Any common fault- bad components that you have heard of causing this? Caps? I don't think there is any CAL related adjustments that woul unlock a loop. Or is there? Any help will be appreciated. Hard to find at the best of times- especially without extender cables or schematics !
TECH1200
New User

Post by TECH1200 »

Peering down into the analzer tray I can see the glow of leds- probably LOCKED\UNLOCKED leds

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”