If buying new, which service monitor?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ke2d

If buying new, which service monitor?

Post by ke2d »

I will be looking to replace my stolen R2670A shortly, and was planning on purchasing a R2670B from GD as a direct replacement. But after using a Com120B also, and really like some of its flexibility. I'm starting to wonder if I should be looking at an Aeroflex model instead. There have been times out in the field where the 2600 series is limited. IE: duplex testing greater than the 50MHz limitation (linked repeater or cross band repeater work, or 72MHz link to 900MHz paging, for example)

Anyone have any recommendations? For the $16k I am about to drop on a 2670B, is there a better choice? How about the Aeroflex 3920? How does it compare to the Com120B or 2670B, performance/features as well as pricing?

Thanks
Eric
KE2D
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: If buying new, which service monitor?

Post by Wowbagger »

My standard disclaimer: I work for Aeroflex, I designed several of their service monitors, you should assume everything I say here is biased as hell.

For US$16K you could get a new 2975, or a 2945 from Aeroflex. You could also get a used COM-120B, 1600S or 1900S.

If you do a lot of paging work you WOULDN'T want a 2975, as it doesn't do any of the paging protocols.

If you do Smart[net|zone] or APCO-25, you WOULD want a 2975.

If you do work above 1GHz you want the 2975 or 1900 as they go to 2.7GHz and 2.0GHz (respectively).

If you do a lot of duplexer tuning, the 2975 analyzer is slower than the COM-120B analyzer (they never gave me the time to really work on the 2975 analyzer like I did on the COM-120B, but yes you can blame me for the 2975.)

The 2945 is IMHO a more limited unit than the COM-120B, but because we have a higher margin on the 2945 that's what we continue to sell (my apologies to any of my British co-workers reading this (the 2945 was designed by the UK group)).

The COM-120 family is discontinued, so service and parts will be getting harder as time goes on.

The 1600S should see support for a while longer as the military version (the AN-GRM) is still in active production.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
cablemonkey

Re: If buying new, which service monitor?

Post by cablemonkey »

We have a mix of varying units in our shop. A couple of 2975s, a GD 2670B, and three 1200S battleaxes that just won't go down.

We're shopping to replace the 1200s and have looked at the Aeroflex 3500 as a potential replacement. Sadly, it's not. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of gear, with some inevitable gotchas, but is not going to replace a piece of bench gear anytime soon.

GD has been promising the R8000 for a while yet, but I haven't been able to find anyone that's seen one actually working.

Anritsu also has a new unit, the LMR Master. I have requested a demo, but again, haven't touched this one either.

I also heard that Rohde unt Schwarz might be sticking their toes into the Field Portable Comm. Test Set market with a new product based on their CMS platform in '09.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”