Anyone using an SR785 signal analyzer for simulcast?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Ray D O

Anyone using an SR785 signal analyzer for simulcast?

Post by Ray D O »

I'm looking for anyone using a Sanford Research Systems model SR785 2 channel dynamic signal analyzer for analog simualcast alignment compared to an HP analyzer. Trying to use the Motorola procedure which does use an HP analyzer and the SRS model doesn't display correctly. Set up is question but we've tried to "adapt" the set up from the HP set up in the Motorola service info. Thanks for any input.
xmo

Re: Anyone using an SR785 signal analyzer for simulcast?

Post by xmo »

I think this topic properly belongs in this forum, so let's discuss it here.

When you say "analog simulcast alignment", what exact system platform are you optimizing?

The Motorola Smartzone 3 and 4 systems do use the DSA for simulcast alignment. These system use the Motorola DSM-II and do not require phase optimization as was done in older systems.

They do however require very careful amplitide and frequency response optimization.

The procedures are given in the manual 6881098E65.

Is that the manual you have and if so - what revision?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Ray D O wrote:Trying to use the Motorola procedure which does use an HP analyzer and the SRS model doesn't display correctly.
What do you mean by "doesn't display correctly"?

I helped on the design of the analog simulcast application for the 2975, so maybe I can help you work out what you need, but I need some specifics to work with here.

Tell us, step by step, what you are doing to run the test.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Post by chartofmaryland »

Sounds like your trying to control phasing with the CSCI output.

What you need to see if I am understanding is the output phase properly. Do you have all the needed tools?

A receiver on frequency with an output to the analyzer, and all of the tuning instructions for the CSCI?

The procedure is somewhat complex but can be completed with different tools if needed.

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.
Q2222A

Post by Q2222A »

I have successfully used the Stanford labs SR785 Dynamic Signal Analyzer for adjusting the Modulation Compensation in an Analog Simulcast environment. I have an optimization setup file for the SR785 I could get to you that you could put on a floppy disk and load onto your analyzer that will set it up as you need. I just don't know how to get it to you. Send me an email and I can reply with the attached file.

Dennis
dmills1@att.net

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”