S1327A power supply problem?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

S1327A power supply problem?

Post by AL7OC »

I know that I should probably toss this relic in the scrap heap, but it's only used for on for a signal source for aligning ham equipment front ends. I hate to have to buy a new signal generator, but maybe it's time!

When I power on the monitor, I get a loud hum and the synthesizer will not lock up. It looks and sounds like a power supply issue. There are 4 test points on what appears to be a regulator board. The board is located in the center bottom of the monitor. I get -5v on the green test Jack, +15v on the blue, -23.7v (250 mv ripple) on the purple, and +5v on the red Jack. Maybe the -23.7v is supposed to be -15v? The adjustment pot next to the purple test Jack has no affect on the output.

Anyone got a schematic for this oldie?

Thanks.

Pierre
Pierre

AL7OC
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Re: S1327A power supply problem?

Post by AL7OC »

Update - found schematics online. The -15 volt pass element had shorted out and took the LM317 regulator chip with it. I jury rigged a temporary Zener pass regulator to see if anything else was toast. That power supply has no over-voltage protection, so when it went, it killed the deviation scope module. The deviation scope has a potted board at the end of the CRT that has a strong essence of ohmite. The rest of the monitor works OK.

Anyone got a junker S1327A monitor that they would be interested in parting with, or at least the scope module? Drop a line if you have one that you may want to sell.

Pierre
Pierre

AL7OC
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: S1327A power supply problem?

Post by DJP126 »

The high voltage for your scope is -1500 VDC. That is what that black module is supposed to do. It was replaced with a board that had discreet components (step-up transformer, filtering caps, etc.). It should be fairly easy to come up with something to replace the module. Unfortunately, I don't have the schematics to the replacement.
Dave

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”