service monitor questions

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kt2728

service monitor questions

Post by kt2728 »

Does anybody make a service monitor that will test the new kenwood digital format NXDN as well as p25 and analog?

I am in the market for a service monitor and just stared doing my research.

thanks

kt
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Re: service monitor questions

Post by MSS-Dave »

General Dynamics R8000. Have one with P25 and DMR. NXDN is an option.
Even does analog....

Dave
kt2728

Post by kt2728 »

do you have any idea what kind of money are we talking about for an r8000?
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

An close estimate for what I got was slightly less than $30K. That was for P25 and DMR. I believe NXDN would add between 3 and 4K. Mine isn't Astro25 capabile but I believe it is available now. There were some other options that was bought in a package but I can't get to the order right now to see what they did.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

The Aeroflex 3900 also does NXDN, as well as P25, Smartnet, Moto P25 F2, analog, arbitrary waveform generation (so you can tickle a D-Star radio, for example), Astro25, and a few other things.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

MSS-Dave wrote:General Dynamics R8000. Have one with P25 and DMR. NXDN is an option.
Even does analog....

Dave
Even does analog, thats funny LOL :lol:
Cause Motorola said so that's why
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Does NXDN need a digital monitor to tune? Sure don't need one for any Motorola P25 radio or TRBO.
ve3ei

Re: service monitor questions NXDN?

Post by ve3ei »

This is primarily directed at Wowbagger, as he seems to know what he is talking about!
"The Aeroflex 3900 also does NXDN, as well as P25, Smartnet, Moto P25 F2, analog, arbitrary waveform generation (so you can tickle a D-Star radio, for example), Astro25, and a few other things."
How do you tickle a DSTAR? "Stroke its bits???"
Seriously, the question I would like to ask is how would you "see/view" (on a demodulator?) the DSTAR waveform to determine if it is balanced? or has FSK errors?
Basically, the same question for NXDN, which is FDMA C4FM?
The 2975 (that I have) does not do natively but could I use the CQPSK Generate/Receive and Analysis option for looking at that information/waveform?
Eric
Eric Meth ve3ei
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

The 3900 can play an arbitrary waveform, so you can play a canned D* waveform and make the radio "talk". But the 3900 doesn't have the needed DSP code to demodulate and analyze a D* waveform to give you parametrics on it - we can tell you over-all deviation, carrier frequency, and TX power.

Just because something is "4FM" doesn't mean we can analyze it: we have to have the appropriate reconstruction filters, sample rates, interpolation filters, etc. to demodulate the signal, identify the sample times, regenerate the ideal waveform, and compare the two. So the 2975 and 3900 won't do NXDN demod analysis because they don't have the specifics on NXDN's form of 4FM.

Think of it like this: Narrowband FM, Wideband FM (in the LMR sense), and broadcast FM are all "FM" - but without knowing the preemphasis filters, the desired deviation, etc, you cannot automatically say Pass or Fail.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
ve3ei

Post by ve3ei »

Thanks for the description and that makes sense. However, knowing the symbol frequencies of 350 & 1050 is there no way I can see those? Or would be able to see them on a spectrun analyser?

In your example of FM, with a Spectrum Analyzer, I can look at the signal and see how wide it is? Can I do something similar with C4FM? Or do I need a different monitoring device?
Eric Meth ve3ei
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

You can look at C4FM on the analyzer ;)

But no, there is no equivalent of a generic C4FM analyzer - you HAVE to be able to reconstruct the ideal signal, so you have to have a great deal of info about what you expect.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”