Experimental licenses

This forum has been created to foster the discussion on future and cutting edge technology. This discussion is not limited or restricted to Motorola. Examples of allowed discussion are open source hardware (GNU Radio for example) and software (Open source P25, Asterisk, ROIP, etc). Discussion is also permitted where older technology could be applied to areas where it had previously not been used (Example: Trunking on amateur radio).

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Experimental licenses

Post by Wowbagger »

http://www.tvtechnology.com/distributio ... s--/220528

"Two stations received experimental licenses to test digital 450 MHz RPU radios. WLS Television received WG2XLY for experimental operations on 450.0875, 450.3875, 450.5875, 455.0875, 455.15 and 455.5875 MHz “to test a digital system in the high noise urban environment typical in the broadcast news service” fixed and mobile in Chicago, Ill.
[...]
(WLS and WFTS required experimental licenses as the “Mototrbo” radios they specified use 7K60FXD and 7K60FXE emissions in their digital mode, neither of which is allowed under Part 74 RPU rules. WLS appears to be making a major investment in the experiment. Its application specifies a total of 83 units.

Amateur radio operators may want to check the list, as there are several experimental license grants not related to amateur radio in the shared 420-450 MHz amateur band. The FCC also granted several licenses for research using frequencies below 500 kHz that appear to be closer aligned with amateur radio experimentation in this spectrum. "
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Experimental licenses

Post by escomm »

This nonsense has been going on for years. It's really much ado about nothing. Part 74 does not permit two talkpaths on one carrier. The FCC needs to amend the rules to permit the emissions designator. There is a TV station in Denver that has had an experimental license for TRBO for 3 years. Funny how it still permits 50KHz analog carriers though, huh??

There is already a NPRM before the FCC to "permit" DMR TDMA on Part 97 frequencies but rest assured there won't be any enforcement in the meantime given the ARRL's backing of DMR in general and the commission's purported desire to see the hobby advanced

Return to “Experimental and Next Generation LMR”