GoTenna

This forum has been created to foster the discussion on future and cutting edge technology. This discussion is not limited or restricted to Motorola. Examples of allowed discussion are open source hardware (GNU Radio for example) and software (Open source P25, Asterisk, ROIP, etc). Discussion is also permitted where older technology could be applied to areas where it had previously not been used (Example: Trunking on amateur radio).

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

GoTenna

Post by Jim1348 »

I just heard about the GoTenna this afternoon. Unless I am way off base here, it sounds like they are using MURS frequencies for this. The application that would most interest me would be aboard a cruise ship when we go to the Caribbean. We have gotten by fine in the past with Nextel Direct Talk, but my wife and oldest son are so into texting that this might work for them. Somewhere I read on their website that they tried 900 mHz, but it wasn't successful for them. That sort of surprises me. In fact, I would think that 1 watt on the ISM 902-928 mHz band would have been quite suitable.

http://static.gotenna.com/

http://www.cnet.com/news/gotenna-create ... -on-earth/
okto
New User
What radios do you own?: Jedis and Sabers, mostly.

Re: GoTenna

Post by okto »

900MHz UHF has terrible propagation qualities, especially in open terrain. It gets attenuated by foliage, it doesn't propagate over hills or around obstacles, and antennas get detuned much worse by body proximity than lower frequencies. The only thing 900MHz is good at is having a lot of available spectrum.

One of the main bands GSM operates on is 900MHz. If you can't communicate to a 100-foot tower on those frequencies, you're definitely not going to be able to do anything point-to-point.
Bill_G

Re: GoTenna

Post by Bill_G »

Interesting concept. Presales now with (possible) delivery in Fall of 2014. Reading between the lines, they need $50K in presales before they will manufacture. Obviously their range estimates for 2W async data are WAGs, but they can dial those back as they gain more real world experience with their own product.

Return to “Experimental and Next Generation LMR”