WHELEN DTMF DECODING

This forum has been created to foster the discussion on future and cutting edge technology. This discussion is not limited or restricted to Motorola. Examples of allowed discussion are open source hardware (GNU Radio for example) and software (Open source P25, Asterisk, ROIP, etc). Discussion is also permitted where older technology could be applied to areas where it had previously not been used (Example: Trunking on amateur radio).

Moderator: Queue Moderator

randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

WHELEN DTMF DECODING

Post by randymince »

I am trying to find a dtmf software decoder that can decode a .wav file, or pc soundcard input. I use a Whelen mass notification system and am trying to enable users to send out "call keys" via Telex CSOFT. The only programs I have tried don't handle the faster 40/20 spacing Whelen uses for their DTMF. Any help would be appreciated.
...And that's how radios work
Bill_G

Re: WHELEN DTMF DECODING

Post by Bill_G »

Try this one - try before you buy ware with a 15 day license

http://www.polar-electric.com/DTMF/Index.html

It helped me decode inbound dtmf strings generated by customer call lists that were not always programmed correctly.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

BTW, how are you going to couple audio into your sound card? I built an interface box years ago to decouple laptop mic and headphone from telco line level so I could monitor or transmit audio. A couple Radio shack 1:1 audio xfrmrs, pots to set levels, jacks, and bnc conns in a small plastic hobby box. Proven invaluable as a poorman's oscilliscope, test tone gen, and record lines off the punch blocks.
randymince

Post by randymince »

As far as the audio, I was just trying to get the actual dtmf. Luckily the Whelen E-2010 Encoder has an audio out, so it just took terminating into the appropriate terminal on the back and a 3.5mm into the soundcard. I have been able to record the dtmf in .wav format with the actual DTMF string, but the problem I have been dealing with is the 40/20 time spacing that Whelen uses. I had seen that software when I was first searching, I tried it, but it is only showing a 5, not the rest of the string. I think this has something to do with the timing, it won't let you change the "break time" to something different, so I don't know what to do. When you used the software where the inbound tones whelen specific?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

No. They were codes to alert a specific dispatcher, send in status messages, and ani. Similar in concept to Speedcall.

Well, if you've tried that software, and it didn't work for you, then you may have to build a dtmf decoder from a kit, or spend the money for a Cimarron decoder. They are very fast, and reliable decoders.

http://cimtechcorp.com/
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ramsey doesn't make the Tone Grabber anymore. But, someone else has a similar kit for a good price.

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/compl ... /ck605.htm
randymince

Post by randymince »

I got to thinking about the timing, and took the .wav files into Audacity and inserted silence of 20ms between each segment. After I did this, I used a simple drag and drop DTMF decoder that I had found before, it produced results. Again I just took the .wav file, that was the recorded DTMF, opened it in Audacity and inserted 20ms of silence between each segment. The whole aim was to initiate commands via CSOFT, so that was achieved. Hope the information can be helpful for people. Props also goes out to fellow coworker and batboard member sethcwilliams !

WHELEN DTMF
(10 DIGIT ACTIVATION COMMAND STRUCTURE)
XXX(Area Code) XXXX (Address) X(Id) XX(Command)

COMMANDS
CANCEL- DD
WAIL – D1
ATTACK – D2
ALERT – D3
PA- D4
AIR HORN – D5
HI-LO – D6
WHOOP – D7
NOON TEST – D8
SILENT TEST - DC

DIGITAL VOICE MESSAGE (DVM)
DVM 1- 31
DVM 2- 32
DVM 3- 33
DVM 4- 34
DVM 5- 35
DVM 6- 36
DVM 7- 37
DVM 8- 38
DVM 9- 3*
DVM 10-3#
DVM 11-3A
DVM 12-3B
DVM 13-11
DVM 14-12
DVM 15-13
DVM 16-14
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Audacity Program for editing audio file
http://www.mediafire.com/?odygwj1nzzn

DTMF Decoder, just drag .wav file onto exe
http://www.mediafire.com/?25jit0hidc1
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

So you got it. Took some effort, but you figured out the Whelen command scheme by editing with Audacity. Good job. Did you create a pop-up box of buttons on the Csoft desktop to generate each command?
randymince

Post by randymince »

Yeah, created a pop up with buttons designated for each DTMF string command.
Sikdmax
New User

Post by Sikdmax »

If you can, post some pictures of the screen or screen shots - Id love to see how thats set up.
randymince

Post by randymince »

If you have never set up paging it's really easy.

Setting Up Paging

Edit, Setup Pagers
From the drop down select the type of paging, so for Whelen DTMF
Click Setup for whichever pager number you chose, this will bring up a DTMF Page window
Under the DTMF Page window you can specify timing, and DTMF digits as required,
Whelen uses an On Time of 40ms and Off Time of 20ms with 10 DTMF digits

After you have specified the parameters for your paging you can create buttons for the page commands
Create a UI Button
Select Page Button, this will give you another tab labeled Page Setup
Here you can choose the format from the drop down that was created under Setup Pagers
The next drop down is for frequency, mainly if you are using the freq change feature, it will be freq 1 if you aren't changing freq
The next option is the talk time
The last option is Page String, this is where you insert the actual DTMF digits that you want the button to actually perform

After you have set up your buttons you would just need to create a Page Send button

Under Edit Global Parameter Setup go to the Control Settings tab and check Always Stack Pages, this will prevent a user from sending multiple pages that will interrupt previous ones.
Last edited by randymince on Wed May 19, 2010 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Right on. Good job Randy.

Return to “Experimental and Next Generation LMR”