P25 Desksets????

This forum has been created to foster the discussion on future and cutting edge technology. This discussion is not limited or restricted to Motorola. Examples of allowed discussion are open source hardware (GNU Radio for example) and software (Open source P25, Asterisk, ROIP, etc). Discussion is also permitted where older technology could be applied to areas where it had previously not been used (Example: Trunking on amateur radio).

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jaysbuell
New User

P25 Desksets????

Post by jaysbuell »

Can anyone shed some light on this subject? We are inching very close to NEXTGEN implementation and I have a few unanswered questions. While our vender wont be "batwing", I beleive the same applies.

Our current system has alot of tone remote desk sets. I have a feeling that they are still going to want these at the Jail and public Safety center, So my question is: can they be interfaced to the new P25 equipment? or is there a P25 deskset out there that we now have to implement? Anyone with experience on this?
KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Re: P25 Desksets????

Post by KX5MOT »

XTL5000 Consolette perhaps?
"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Your remotes that you have now should work if they are standard tone remotes. They will I/F to your new P25 base radio.

Jim
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Echoing Jim, your remotes will plug into the base station(s) you install for the new system, and operate in the clear within that building.
jaysbuell
New User

Post by jaysbuell »

Thats good news, I was thinking the same thing, however a "shirt and tie" was trying to convince me that it cannot work and that a digital remote had to replace the old ones........ guess im going to have to set up a bench demo this week. thanks all
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

All you are doing with remotes, is using a set of tones to change channels, the audio from the remotes to the radio will be 'converted' to digital in the radio.
Think of a tone remote as an outboard speaker/mic combination....
All digitizing is done after the speaker/mic...No problem using tone remotes for your P25 systems.
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

That is why I have a lot of dislike/disdain for radio sales people (ie suit and tie types) and they have a lot of dislike for me (in the technical side of the house).........
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
judoka

Post by judoka »

Simple question to ask suits - Does your P25 equipment support the TIA.102 BAHA AFSI standard interface ?
That standard defines the analog line (including tone remote) for a P25 compliant repeater/base station.
There is a DFSI interface in the same standard which uses IP packets to carry voice and control between dispatcher and repeater.

Any tone remote capable deskset should be compliant with the AFSI specs.

Return to “Experimental and Next Generation LMR”