Can't get the USB Cable to work with the CPS and XPR7550e

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n4ogl
What radios do you own?: APX7K, XPR7550e

Can't get the USB Cable to work with the CPS and XPR7550e

Post by n4ogl »

I can't seem to get my computer (running Win10 64 bit) to see my XPR7550e when I connect it with the USB Cable (same cable I program my APX7K with). CPS Version 13.0 build 666. Anyone have any idea where I can get drivers?
Mark
Back home, again, in California.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: Can't get the USB Cable to work with the CPS and XPR7550e

Post by SteveC0625 »

n4ogl wrote:I can't seem to get my computer (running Win10 64 bit) to see my XPR7550e when I connect it with the USB Cable (same cable I program my APX7K with). CPS Version 13.0 build 666. Anyone have any idea where I can get drivers?
Win 10 and USB cable? Sounds like it may be the dreaded cloned Prolific chip problem.

See this thread for one possible (and IMHO highly probable) cause and solution: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=112486

(The fact that the problem and fix involved a different family of radios is immaterial. The problem described is Windows 10 and the Prolific clones or counterfeits. What radio is on the other end of the cable really doesn't matter.)
rainbowpenguin
New User

Post by rainbowpenguin »

The TRBO/APX usb cable does not have any type of serial converter chip inside. Prolific drivers won't do anything. It is a straight-thru usb cable with a 1-wire identification chip to tell the radio what's plugged into it. The radio will show up on the computer as an ethernet adapter when installed properly. The drivers should be on the DVD your copy of TRBO CPS came on, otherwise are available in the resource center section of your MOL account.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I don't think the TRBO CPS supports 64 bit Windows 10
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

According to MOL, it is Windows 10 compatible now (CPS 13.0, Build 666 - awesome number combination!).
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

n4ogl wrote:I can't seem to get my computer (running Win10 64 bit) to see my XPR7550e when I connect it with the USB Cable (same cable I program my APX7K with). CPS Version 13.0 build 666. Anyone have any idea where I can get drivers?
Have you programmed the XPR on another machine? I'm thinking it's not Win10, it's probably your cable...what revision is it? The 'A' revision works fine on APX and first Gen XPR radios, but needs a modification to work with second Gen XPR portables...ground wire needs to be moved.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

wavetar wrote: what revision is it? The 'A' revision works fine on APX and first Gen XPR radios, but needs a modification to work with second Gen XPR portables...ground wire needs to be moved.
Not on my 7550, & 7580. Bone stock A cable works just fine. GARY
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

N4KVE wrote:
wavetar wrote: what revision is it? The 'A' revision works fine on APX and first Gen XPR radios, but needs a modification to work with second Gen XPR portables...ground wire needs to be moved.
Not on my 7550, & 7580. Bone stock A cable works just fine. GARY

It CAN work, but you're playing with fire a bit. The 'A' cable used the external antenna ground ring on the 6000 series for it's ground. You will note the 7000 series does not have that ring, thus no proper ground. You are programming your radio with a floating ground reference...not the most stable of things for programming. I have known them to work, though I don't know how, other than the floating ground reference is close enough to zero to have it work, but most of the time they don't work at all. It's a simple fix, and well worth your time to pop the accessory end apart & move the wire to a proper ground point. Then you will have a 'B' revision cable!
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

wavetar wrote: It CAN work, but you're playing with fire a bit. The 'A' cable used the external antenna ground ring on the 6000 series for it's ground. You will note the 7000 series does not have that ring, thus no proper ground. You are programming your radio with a floating ground reference...not the most stable of things for programming. I have known them to work, though I don't know how, other than the floating ground reference is close enough to zero to have it work, but most of the time they don't work at all. It's a simple fix, and well worth your time to pop the accessory end apart & move the wire to a proper ground point. Then you will have a 'B' revision cable!
When my friend upgraded from a 6550, to a 7550, he was told he'd have to purchase the "B" cable, so he did. He sold me the practically new "A" cable for $20, as I had a 6550. So when I upgraded to a 7550, I too was prepared to buy a "B" cable, but figured I'd try my "A" cable first. Boy was I surprised when my "A" cable worked on my 7550. But my friend who sold me the "A" cable was visibly upset when he found out he did not have to buy his "B" cable. I do have the directions how to modify my "A" cable, but because it works perfectly, I never bothered to modify my "A" cable. GARY.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (3xxx/5xxx/7xxx/SL) 2.0 Series Subscribers”