Customize Voice Announcement Files

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Customize Voice Announcement Files

Post by WCHija »

Is there a way to create and load custom voice files? I have tried using .wav files and converting them using the voice management, but I keep getting error messages.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
C17LVFD

Re: Customize Voice Announcement Files

Post by C17LVFD »

Make sure the .wav file is less than 30kb's. Need to be 8-bit I believe. Astro25 CPS has a good tutorial on making them. Pretty straight forward but multiple steps.

Good luck,
Seth
Seth
n1gtl
What radios do you own?: XPR5550, XPR7550e

Post by n1gtl »

I use this site to create the custom channel announcements:

http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/

I save the .wav file then open it in a free program called Audacity and edit it to the required settings. 8000k, 16-bit mono PCM. It must be under 3 seconds. Then use the conversion utility in the CPS to create the Mototola specific files.

It takes a little time to figure it out but once you get it, you can make them fairly quickly.
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

Thank you both!
Semper Fidelis

WCHija

Post by WCHija »

This works like a charm! What a great way to customize the radio for the technically challenged.
Semper Fidelis

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

One thing to add, if you use gold wave audio edit instead of audacity you can batch process the audio files instead of going 1 by 1. Much faster!
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

The site linked above no longer appears to be generating these files. Does anyone have an alternative?

Thanks.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

tuckerm wrote:The site linked above no longer appears to be generating these files. Does anyone have an alternative?

Thanks.
Site appears to be working, but if you want a standalone alternative try this one:

http://portableapps.com/apps/accessibil ... a-portable
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

jackhackett wrote:
Site appears to be working, but if you want a standalone alternative try this one:

http://portableapps.com/apps/accessibil ... a-portable
The site is up, but every time I try to do a download I get a 404 error on it. It won't generate anything anymore. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a whirl.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
KE4ZNR
What radios do you own?: APX 8000XE, APX 6000, APX 7000

Post by KE4ZNR »

Hey Tucker:
The site listed earlier:
http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/
Does work but you have to refresh the page after each created sound file. Just doing a backpage or clearing out the box will give you the error message.
I created several CA Files for APXs using the site yesterday with no issues. It does freak out a little from time to time but doing a page refresh has always made it work for me.
Hope this helps
Marshall KE4ZNR
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

I just tried it again with Chrome and IE. I get to the Download audio file page and it will not play it. When I download it, Chrome fails with a No File, and IE says it couldn't be downloaded. Browsing to the link I get 404'd each time. It's odd. I

I found another site that I used for my G5 Channel announcement files so I'm set.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I use this site: http://www.wizzardsoftware.com/text-to-speech-sdk.php
It's not a straightforward process however... I use the "view page source" option in Chrome to bring up the network elements, and extract the .wav files from that.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

I ended up playing the file from the other site I found and used Audacity to record it coming off the soundcard. Pretty easy to setup Audacity to do that.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (3xxx/5xxx/7xxx/SL) 2.0 Series Subscribers”