Moderator: Queue Moderator

Martel
New User

...XPR8380 power issue

Post by Martel »

XPR8380 repeater w/ Capacity-Plus

Model #: M27UMR9JA7AN
TANAPA #: PMUF1491AA

When keyed-up, Repeater transmits +20 dBm for about 250ms, then, goes up to full power.

Result: On standby (Capacity-Plus), the presence bursts are transmitted at low power.

Problem also present if rptr is programmed in analog mode.

I opened the repeater's Tx module and all solders around Tx power section are fine.

Thank you.

Normand Martel
n1gtl
What radios do you own?: XPR5550, XPR7550e

Re: ...XPR8380 power issue

Post by n1gtl »

Since 8300 series pre-dated Cap Plus, I assume you have the newest firmware to even have that feature? If not, make sure firmware is the newest.

Are you using an antenna relay? Under general settings, there is an antenna relay delay time that will delay the TX from kicking on to give relays time to switch. I'd make sure that is set to 0.

I'm guessing your main problem with this is the rest channel beacon is kicking on but it is only being run by the exciter so the subscribers are not receiving the rest channel beacon since there is not enough time for the PA to kick in fully?

Other than that, all I can think of is a logic board issue which kind of means you're screwed.
Martel
New User

Post by Martel »

Thanks a lot for the reply...

I'm busy working on another project, but as soon as i'll try these (firmware / Tx relay delay), i'll give you a feedback.
n1gtl
What radios do you own?: XPR5550, XPR7550e

Post by n1gtl »

If all else fails, as a last ditch effort, you can open the repeater and swap the two radios and HOPE that the problem is in the transmitting radio and not in the logic connecting the two. I've successfully done this three times. The repeater is really just two mobiles. When the PA blew in the transmitting radio, I opened the repeater and switched the radios. The radio with the bad PA just became the receiving radio. You should read the repeater and the soft spots with the tuning software first and save them. The transmitting radio will have an added heat sink on the top. Remove it and screw it onto the receiving radio. I'd recommend some thermal paste like is used in computers when putting the heat sink on the CPU chip.

Again, being an old repeater, I think your options are limited and this is the only other solution I can think of.

Return to “MotoTRBO Repeaters, Trunking, and Site Infrastructure”