Spectra Astro analog conversion

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mogman

Spectra Astro analog conversion

Post by mogman »

Well I read somewhere that one could stuff a command board and VOCON into an analog Spectra and convert it, so I had a little extra time on my hands this morning and gave it a shot.
I installed the boards and loaded a D04RKH9PW7AN s-rec, this was a 40W dash mount UHF A7 radio, I replaced the A7 with a W7 control head fired it up and get a 01/90 (hardware fail) then the radio reboots and I get a 02/90 (DSP hardware failure)

I then dumped the s-record into one of my guinea pig vhf 110W radios (same firmware version) and it boots up fine then of course as expected I get an Error 001, VCO out of lock message.

Obviously I am missing something, I am using the A7 control head to command board junction board and not sure if that might be an issue.
kd5ual

Re: Spectra Astro analog conversion

Post by kd5ual »

you also have to replace the analog RF board with an Astro Spectra RF board to make the conversion work.
what is the interconnect board number that you are using?
there are three different interconnect boards that will work with the Astro Spectra dash mount radio.
the analog Spectra used several interconnect boards with the last being HLN 6285A and there are actually two boards with this number and they are different.
HLN6285A with circuit board No. 8480276R01 0 found on side 1(may be under a paper tag) is the analog Spectra board, it will work with Astro Spectra but is missing 2 circuit traces and will not KEY LOAD.
HLN6285A with circuit board No. 8480276R02 B is 100% compatible with the Astro Spectra as it uses the same circuit board as HLN6401A
HLN6401A is the Astro Spectra interconnect board and uses circuit board No.8480276R02 B
earlier analog Spectra interconnect boards have pins that need to be removed to be used.
wendell
mogman

Post by mogman »

THANKS for the advice!!
I will check on the connection board but having to change the RF board kills the project, I have 20 or so analog UHF dash units and I also have several command/VOCON boards but no Spectra Astro UHF RF boards, I might try to pick up a board or two just to play with them.
mogman

Post by mogman »

It has the HLN6285A with the circuit board 8480276R01 so I guess the only hold up is the RF board.
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

The Astro Spectra UHF RF board is not range specific except for Range 2 CEPT(low power Motorcycle) 430-470 which uses a coax connection to the VCO.
Range 1. 403-433 3. 450-485 4. 485-512 do not use that connection and it is not placed on the board.
so that gives you some options.
wendell
mogman

Post by mogman »

Thanks! unfortunately just about every UHF Spectra Astro RF board I see is already attached to a Spectra Astro radio, not much sense to remove them from one radio to re-install into another similar radio, although there might be some out there that are of a less desirable band split, I will keep my eye out!!
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Ten years ago when the Feds (US) were dumping 403-433 UHF Astro Spectras left and right it was quite economical to pick one up for sub-$100US and parts-swap with an analog Spectra. Now that market has pretty much dried up and factory Astros in the R2 and R3 ranges are easier to come by for roughly the same price range.

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”