Just picked up my first Motorola

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc9fsh

Just picked up my first Motorola

Post by kc9fsh »

I was at a local hamfest today and picked up a VHF high power spectra. The model number is T83GXA7HA9AK. From what I have figured out so far is that it is a high range VHF, 110 watt with a A9 head. Image

I plan on buying a aftermarket rib box and then making a programming cable to go from the RIB to the Sprectra. I haven't powered it on yet as I am just excited and trying to figure everything out since I have wanted a Spectra for a while now. I am hoping that you guys might be able to answer a few questions for me.

On the bottom of the A9 head there is a slide style switch on the bottom, what is this for?

I am finding some conflicting information on if this radio can go down to 144mhz, even though it sounds like this one is good from 146-174mhz. Can this go down to 144mhz and if so do I need to mod the radio to make it capable of this?

In order to confirm which split I have I followed the instructions at http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... split.html and checked the front end board number, however the board in my radio is not listed. The board number in my radio is is HRD6004A. Does this sound right to any of you?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
jackhackett

Re: Just picked up my first Motorola

Post by jackhackett »

kc9fsh wrote: On the bottom of the A9 head there is a slide style switch on the bottom, what is this for?
I'll answer the easy question... That would be your standard "on/off" switch.
kc9fsh

Post by kc9fsh »

jackhackett wrote:
kc9fsh wrote: On the bottom of the A9 head there is a slide style switch on the bottom, what is this for?
I'll answer the easy question... That would be your standard "on/off" switch.
Thanks for the answer. Now I feel dumb for not thinking of that, guess I should have hooked it up to my power supply and played around prior to posting.
k9wkjham
New User

Post by k9wkjham »

cool!!
i just got a astro spectra a couple weeks back it has a W9 head
and have been having fun learning its mother /\/\ ways
i havent tried the transmitter yet
but it certainly didnt mind being programmed down to the bottom of the 2m band
after i get it set up in some way i can run it mobile
ill put it in the van and enjoy

i think your luck with your Spectra as it seems you can work around the 16 channel scan limit
but it seems that the Astro Spectra wont think that way uggggg
i have 171 modes programmed and i get to scan 16 at a time uugggg
i guess thats okay for mobile
but for home work not so much...
i need a new radio for that
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

Welcome to the Board.
The analog Spectra will program down to 140 MHz with no mods required, however if I remember correctly may go out of lock about 141 mhz.
as for the front end board number, you need to verify that it isn't an HR(E)6004A as that would indicate that some one pulled the original and put in what they had laying around and didn't need HRE6004* is UHF range 4.
Take the bottom cover off and check the RF board, VCO, and PA to see if they match the VHF model number that you have.
go to Mike Blenderman's site (linked from the Batlabs model specific page for Syntor X9000 and go to His Spectra Page) for the board numbers.
also remember that Spectra RSS is DOS and must be run in DOS only.
wendell
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Make sure if the caps haven't been changed, that you get it done. A well known [and only] shortcoming of the Spectra/Astro Spectra line. Great radio otherwise. Will did both mine. GARY
kc9fsh

Post by kc9fsh »

N4KVE wrote:Make sure if the caps haven't been changed, that you get it done. A well known [and only] shortcoming of the Spectra/Astro Spectra line. Great radio otherwise. Will did both mine. GARY
They have not been changed yet but I have been looking for the proper caps to replace them, so it will be done before I install the radio. I plan on changing them with tantalum caps instead of electrolytic but if I can't easily find all the caps in tantalums then I'll just settle and replace them with electrolytic caps.

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”