Astro Saber or XTS3000? And Battery Questions

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Skrimps
New User

Astro Saber or XTS3000? And Battery Questions

Post by Skrimps »

Hello everyone,

I believe this is the right forum. I am looking to purchase a P25 radio and have been looking at the Astro Saber and the XTS3000. I have read that the XTS3000 is more or less an Astro Saber but with the XTS5000 case? I have also read the LED screen on the XTS3000 tends to go bad and replacements are not easy to find. Is that the case? What one should I consider?

If I do go with the Astro Saber what is the best battery for it? I know finding good Motorola batteries is not that easy of a task and have researched some aftermarket alternatives but kind of confused on which one to get. I am hoping it is 3.0-3.5" in height, I prefer that over the large one or the very short ones (as they are expensive).

And the XTS3000 uses the same batteries as the XTS5000? If so I am all set for batteries and a charger.

Sorry if I am all over the place on this topic, I am still gathering information.
35-K9-1
What radios do you own?: XG-100F, VP900, VP600, APX7K

Re: Astro Saber or XTS3000? And Battery Questions

Post by 35-K9-1 »

You are correct about the Astro Saber and XTS3000 being very similar. The XTS3000 does use the same battery and charger as the 5k. I would say that the parts for the Astro Saber are harder to come by. I have owned many of both types of radios. I have not had an issue with the display on either one. I think it really depends on personal preferance and what your application will be. PM me if you have any other questions.

-AJ
Skrimps
New User

Post by Skrimps »

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I have decided to buy a XTS3000 from a reputable seller. I should have it sometime this week I hope. Looking forward to receiving it.
35-K9-1
What radios do you own?: XG-100F, VP900, VP600, APX7K

Post by 35-K9-1 »

Very nice. I have a few Astro Sabers laying around too. If you ever want to try one, just shoot me a PM.

-AJ
Skrimps
New User

Post by Skrimps »

Thank you for the offer Aj. Really looking forward to the XTS3000...I think I will like it.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Skrimps wrote: I have also read the LED screen on the XTS3000 tends to go bad and replacements are not easy to find. Is that the case?
Yes, the XTS3000s and MTS2000s had problems with LCD "display cancer", caused by the interconnecting ribbon coming detached (due to defective adhesive). Some have had luck repairing them using various methods (heat guns, irons, etc). But the bottom line is, the LCD displays became troubled parts about 9 years ago.

In both cases, the Astro Saber and XTS3000s are considered legacy products. Neither are supported by Motorola, and one should always buy the seller, not the item. Do not overpay for these radios. They are 20+ year old designs, and age related problems (including EEPROM failures) are starting to show. As far as batteries, both radios share the same HOST processors and DSP, and the battery life of these is not all that stellar. Remember these were Motorola's first generation of digital radios. There are some aftermarket Lithium Ion batteries for the Astro Sabers. Honeywell made a pretty decent hi capacity battery, but those are hard to come by.

That being said, if you get a good deal on a decent one, they are very good radios.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Skrimps
New User

Post by Skrimps »

Thank you for the detailed response. Lots of good information. I did find one from a reputable seller who I have purchased from in the past. I checked for issues with the screen ahead of time and was told no issues so time will tell. Looking forward to getting it and programming it up.

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”