Astro Spectra not transmitting

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Skrimps
New User

Astro Spectra not transmitting

Post by Skrimps »

Hello,

I have a W3 Astro Spectra high power radio in my car. It has worked great up until a few days ago. Now it will not transmit. It will turn on and receive fine but will not transmit. Occasionally all you hear on the other end is clicks or static but no voice. Both power and ground have been run direct to the battery. I am at a loss here and was hoping someone could provide some advice on where to troubleshoot next.
jackhackett

Re: Astro Spectra not transmitting

Post by jackhackett »

Are you using analog or digital mode?
Are you going through a repeater or direct?
Can you tell if there is any transmit output power? Do the other radios receive a signal from you, but no voice?
Have you tried another microphone?
YouHF
New User

Post by YouHF »

Skrimps wrote:Hello,
Now it will not transmit. It will turn on and receive fine but will not transmit. Occasionally all you hear on the other end is clicks or static but no voice.
This seems conflicting - is it really not transmitting, or is it transmitting a carrier but no audio/deviation? Symptoms of a vocon gone bad is transmitting a carrier with no deviation - interestingly enough, IIRC, whether analog or P25.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Welp the ground should be going to the chassis and not your battery, but that's not the cause of your problem and likely neither here nor there. Let's get the radio on a service monitor and see what it's actually doing. Clearly it's transmitting something

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”