Astro Spectra with a W5 control head

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim202

Astro Spectra with a W5 control head

Post by Jim202 »

OK, this one is blowing my mind. Have an Astro Spectra, model T04JLF9PW5AN. I received it with only one frequency programed into the radio. I am using the software, version r04.01.04 to program the radio. Put about 12 frequencies into the radio. The control head steps to each frequency and displays the correct alpha information. But the radio stays on the first mode (channel) that was programmed into the radio, per my service monitor.

I only have one W5 Astro Spectra control head, so don't have another one to swap and try it.

Anyone have any ideas as to just what might be the problem?

Jim
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Re: Astro Spectra with a W5 control head

Post by W3AXL »

That's gonna be on the radio side. The control head is a dumb device for the most part, and it only sends info on button presses and gets display info via SB9600. So, the vocon must also think it's on the right channel which is an interesting fault that I've never seen before.

I'd start by testing with another vocon if you've got one. Otherwise I'd try reloading the codeplug or possibly forcing in a new s-record if you have the means to do so.
jry

Post by jry »

that may be on the CPS side.

You may have setup the conventional personalities and added the channels but forgot to actually increment the channel to the correct personality.

Going off of memory and the portable CPS but look at your zone channel assignments and all of the channels are pointing to the same personality
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

jry wrote:You may have setup the conventional personalities and added the channels but forgot to actually increment the channel to the correct personality.
This. Check your Zone/Channel Assignment and make sure each mode (channel) is mapped to its appropriate personality.

Also your CPS version is very old... the last version released was R05.02.00.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had overlooked the Zone Channel Assignment page. Got it set and now I have the ability to step the radio to what the control head is telling me.

Guess I am so use to the old Spectra radios and the XTL series radio. The Astro Spectra is a new animal to me. Just another software program to get use to.

The nice thing about this radio is that you can use it for both narrow band and wide band operation.

As for the software version, I found R04.01.04 and it seems to do a good job on this radio.

Jim
jry

Post by jry »

I think both the Astro Mobile and Portable latest was 5.03
jry

Post by jry »

I think both the Astro Mobile and Portable latest was 5.03
IronMoto
New User

Post by IronMoto »

jry wrote:I think both the Astro Mobile and Portable latest was 5.03
Agreed!
I also have an Astro Spectra VHF and use CPS R05.03.00 to program it.
That version works great.
Motorola / Uniden / Icom / Kenwood
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Return to “ASTRO Series (Astro Saber, Spectra, XTS3000/3500) Subscribers”