HPN4005 Power Supply(XTL) Component Question

Moderator: Queue Moderator

randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

HPN4005 Power Supply(XTL) Component Question

Post by randymince »

Has anybody replaced the aluminum housed resistor that is located on the side of the power supply housing?
It shows as being a 1ohm, 25W, 1% tolerance resistor

I have found a couple of good part numbers, but after reading some of the problems with power supplies I am just curious if anybody has replaced components other than the fuse. In this specific instance, the resistor needs replacing, and the unit did reach high temperatures with the warning sticker being charred, and wires going to the board showing heat damage.
...And that's how radios work
fineshot1

Re: HPN4005 Power Supply(XTL) Component Question

Post by fineshot1 »

Not sure if you found this thread but that is how they all burn up and go up in flames or at least smoke. The melted
wires from the resister go all the way back into the power supply right up to the pc board and these power supplies
are pure junk and should never have been adapted to be in a consolette or any other radio gear that transmits rf power.
I have pics of my burnt up power supply and it is not pretty.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 05#p439322
fineshot1
NJ USA
d119

Post by d119 »

I actually opened a case with Motorola and sent several of these power supplies back to the product group for analysis.

They didn't seem to find a problem worth doing anything about.

These power supplies are OEM'ed by Sparkle Power in China.

And they are a GROSS fire hazard if you ask me. How many consolettes have you disassembled with these things in them, and the plastic is discolored and warped over the power supply?

We had one fail to the point that the room smelled like burning plastic. And Motorola doesn't seem to think this is a problem.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Maybe there's a reason the manufacturer is called "Sparkle"
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

d119 wrote:How many consolettes have you disassembled with these things in them, and the plastic is discolored and warped over the power supply?

We had one fail to the point that the room smelled like burning plastic. And Motorola doesn't seem to think this is a problem.
So far about 4 in as many years(once a year) for the XTL consolettes.
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”