How to verify trunking is working on XTS5000 HT with FPP

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

How to verify trunking is working on XTS5000 HT with FPP

Post by n6fnp »

I'm looking at getting an XTS5000 that is flashed for both Trunking and FPP. It my understanding that Trunking and FPP can
only work on a radio that has older firmware. I'm okay with this as long as the radio is basically functional. I have heard that
a radio can be flashed for both Trunking and FPP, but that the trunking function may not actually work even though the flashcode
shows it there.

The issue is that I currently don't have a trunking system to test the radio with. My county is eventually going to a trunked system
and I will be able to use the radio on the system once it's set up. I would like to know that if I get a radio that is flashed for trunking,
is there a way to verify through CPS or other means that trunking is actually working on the radio. If anyone knows how this can be
done, please let me know!

-Thor
Jim202

Re: How to verify trunking is working on XTS5000 HT with FPP

Post by Jim202 »

n6fnp wrote:I'm looking at getting an XTS5000 that is flashed for both Trunking and FPP. It my understanding that Trunking and FPP can
only work on a radio that has older firmware. I'm okay with this as long as the radio is basically functional. I have heard that
a radio can be flashed for both Trunking and FPP, but that the trunking function may not actually work even though the flashcode
shows it there.

The issue is that I currently don't have a trunking system to test the radio with. My county is eventually going to a trunked system
and I will be able to use the radio on the system once it's set up. I would like to know that if I get a radio that is flashed for trunking,
is there a way to verify through CPS or other means that trunking is actually working on the radio. If anyone knows how this can be
done, please let me know!

-Thor

There is a couple of things to be aware of with trunking radios. The first is that the radio has been flashed for the re banded frequencies. Most all of the 800 trunking systems went through this a while back. There are some trunking systems that went to the 700 band in the process. Not all radios can do the 700 band. It might be worth the effort to make sure you know what band the system your talking about will be on. It is also important to know if the system will be on re banded channels.

With this said, you need to find out the details of the trunking system your planning on using the radio on. You may find out that the radio is not compatible with out being flashed for the new channels. If so, you will probably loose the FPP option your looking to keep on that radio as this was a federal government only option in most cases..

I am not an expert on the flash requirements of those radios, but this is an area you need to ask strong questions about.

Jim

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”