XTS5000 from overseas?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k7bpg
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL5000, APX-6/7/8000

XTS5000 from overseas?

Post by k7bpg »

Hi all,

I am starting into the Motorola world and want to pick up a XTS5000 because of work. I found one on ebay but im skeptical because the seller is out of HongKong. It has a different flashcode listed than the one printed on the label. If I posted this in the wrong area, let me know. Just trying to research before I invest a sum of money in a radio for work. Thanks for any help.

Here is the listing, http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-XTS5000-UH ... 1392893032?

Brian
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: XTS5000 from overseas?

Post by N4KVE »

Many people buy his radios, but you have to be aware that many of them are ALT radios. That means that they are put through 5 years of abuse in a week, as a test. Some were supposed to be scrapped, but were not. If you want to use it as a ham, or something other hobby, you might be happy. They should NEVER be used in any way like a fireman, or policeman. I would never buy one from China, but if someone did, & had the radio checked out, & used it for a year w/o any problems, I might buy it from that American source. You just don't know what these radios have been through. I'd walk away. GARY
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Most of the ALT radios Panter had are long gone and now on their 2nd and 3rd owners. A lot of what he has are parts built from other sources.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

FireCpt809 wrote:Most of the ALT radios Panter had are long gone and now on their 2nd and 3rd owners. A lot of what he has are parts built from other sources.
How reliable are they? I still have 2 Nick parts built radios, & they are still going strong. But they were built from new parts. Who knows with the Panter radios. GARY
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

k7bpg wrote: I am starting into the Motorola world and want to pick up a XTS5000 because of work.
If you plan on using any radio for work, then you should buy the seller not the item, and only buy a vetted, tested and "fit for duty" radio. Any used radio that will be placed into commercial service should be gone over.

I would avoid a parts built radio if your main purpose is work, especially if it's being used in public safety. For ham radio/hobby/scanner use they are fine. Just remember: caveat emptor. You get what you pay for.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Panter is not selling ALT radios. ALT means Accelerated Lifecycle Testing. Seeing as the XTS5000 is obsolete and no longer made and had been in the catalog for almost 10 years it is safe to say this. Panter is actually selling parts build radios that were "converted" aka "hacked" with labtool by adding software features Motorola was never paid or otherwise compensated for. Most are model 1 XTS5000s converted to Model 3s. It is the same thing that Ebay seller snarlingrabiddog aka Dan Eigsti of Talkwave Communications does
dsof31
New User

Post by dsof31 »

I have one, an XTS2500. Like others have stated I would never use it for anything mission critical. Its a great scanner for around the house to monitor digital frequencies. Can't beat the price.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”