XTS 2500I re-case question

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mfrey
New User

XTS 2500I re-case question

Post by mfrey »

I recently purchased a 2500I from a reputable vendor on Ebay. I had a problem with the case so I sent it back for exchange. He re-cased it with a regular 2500 case and sent it back. I knew going in that the re-case would void the factory immersion rating and need to be re-tested and re-certified.

My question is this: are there any differences internally, aside from the venting and water test screw between an FM-rated 2500I and a 2500? My hope is to ultimately get the unit re-certified but I don't know if it can be with the 2500 case and internals if it is intrinsically different from the 2500I.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: XTS 2500I re-case question

Post by MTS2000des »

FM approval is not something that can be re-certified or added later. It is done at the factory and it is under strict documentation procedures. Any service has to be done at the depot or by an FM approved service center. I doubt an Ebay seller is certified.

as far as the differences, the rear chassis of a true 2500i does have a vent port screw for pressure testing and thus, if you want the true immersion rating, it must be pressure tested per the service manual.

any shop that has the proper vacuum test equipment can do a proper immersion test on the radio. But as as far as the IS (FM) rating, once a non-certified person opens it or replaces parts, the FM rating is void.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”