Upgrade Spectra Consolette to use XTL5000 radio

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JonJon
New User

Upgrade Spectra Consolette to use XTL5000 radio

Post by JonJon »

I have an older Spectra Consolette that I want to put an XTL5000 radio in. The consolette is all original and the XLT500 currently has an 05 control head on it and is set up for use as a mobile radio in my truck. I was able to put the radio in the consolette and wire it up through the J2 accessory port on the back of the radio. I use an MC3000 to an L3208A Digital Junction Box then to the Consolette. The receive works great but the transmit side only keys the radio and there is no transmit audio transmitted through the radio. There is however tx audio all the way up to the J2 plug on the back of the radio. Also, the Aux audio button is checked in CPS which was recommended on another forum topic. I can't figure out why the tx audio will not pass through and actually transmit and am looking for some help. I have attached a quick sketch of what I have done. Thanks in advance. Image
Jim202

Re: Upgrade Spectra Consolette to use XTL5000 radio

Post by Jim202 »

JonJon wrote:I have an older Spectra Consolette that I want to put an XTL5000 radio in. The consolette is all original and the XLT500 currently has an 05 control head on it and is set up for use as a mobile radio in my truck. I was able to put the radio in the consolette and wire it up through the J2 accessory port on the back of the radio. I use an MC3000 to an L3208A Digital Junction Box then to the Consolette. The receive works great but the transmit side only keys the radio and there is no transmit audio transmitted through the radio. There is however tx audio all the way up to the J2 plug on the back of the radio. Also, the Aux audio button is checked in CPS which was recommended on another forum topic. I can't figure out why the tx audio will not pass through and actually transmit and am looking for some help. I have attached a quick sketch of what I have done. Thanks in advance. Image

My guess is that your going to need to go into the radio codeplug and change the setting for the external mic input selection.

Go into the "Radio Configuration" tab, then double click on the "Radio Wide" selection. When you see the next menu, go to the "Advanced" tab. Down near the bottom is a selection for the Aux PTT Audio Source. My guess is that you will need to make that selection say "Aux_Mic". If that is what it already says, then go to the other selection "Aux_TX". This flip flop has to do with the source of the TX audio. It has been flip flopping with the software versions and where the external audio source is originating.

There is also another selection area that has to do with the mic gain itself. This is in the "Tx Audio Control Per Mode" tab. I don't like to see the AGC checked as it can tend to bring up the background level and put too much noise on your mic audio. Right now your looking at playing with the "External Mic" settings. What actual gain setting to use will depend on the audio source. This is one of those places where you will have to try it and see what it sounds like. The "AGC" total gain setting should not be set too high as this will also cause the background noise to be higher. A good setting I have found for the "Total" is to be at 6 and the "Output" to be 0.

Let the group on here know how you made out.

Jim
JonJon
New User

Post by JonJon »

Thank you Jim. I had already checked the Aux_Mic selection but will have to look at the Aux_TX when I get in to the office.

On another note, do you know what the trick is to getting am image to load correctly in this forum?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

JonJon wrote:Thank you Jim. I had already checked the Aux_Mic selection but will have to look at the Aux_TX when I get in to the office.

On another note, do you know what the trick is to getting am image to load correctly in this forum?

Can't help you with posting an image. It might help if someone posts how to do it. There was a post many years ago, but I never printed it out to retain the instructions.

I have spent a number of years integrating the XTL2500 and 5000 into a radio interoperability gateways for many public safety agencies. During that time Motorola came out with a number of software versions. It became comical with the changes. The new version required one selection. Then when the next came out, it was flipped the other way. I just gave up and told those that had trouble getting TX audio to try the other selection. It would also depend on if you were using the DB25 connector or the accessory connector for the external mic input connection using a trunk mount unit.

I have always said that Motorola would have done better hiring some 5th graders to do their software.

Jim
JonJon
New User

Post by JonJon »

Well the tx audio is still not passing through, just carrier. I also found a new issue too. I can change channels locally on the 05 head and it shows correctly on the MC3000 display. But, I can not change channels from the MC3000.

I will attempt a link to an image since I can't figure out how to post one directly here.
http://mycraigslistpics.com/

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”