Fail 001 OOB XTS5000?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Java
What radios do you own?: Astro, XTS, XTL, WARIS

Fail 001 OOB XTS5000?

Post by Java »

I have a xts5000 that is a Q split that refuses to go past 475mhz anything above that and radio spits out error tone with fail 001 on the display. I have read there is something in the tuner called VCO crossover but I have yet to find it to try and adjust it to give the radio some play. I'm quiet annoyed by this because I have 3 xts2500 in Q that have no issue going up to 490mhz before fail 001 shows up.

Some help with this would really make me day.
Java
Jim202

Re: Fail 001 OOB XTS5000?

Post by Jim202 »

Why should you be annoyed with one radio working not working outside it's specified frequency range? You should be happy the other 2 radios do it.

The tuner software will allow adjustments to be made with limitations to slide the VCO range of the receiver and transmitter. Bear in mind that when you do slide the VCO up in frequency, you will loose the low end about the same amount that you moved it up. Can't have it both ways.

We won't go into the aspects of having written authorization for the channels your trying to install for transmit channels.

Unless you have a non licensed copy of the software, there should be some help files on the CD the program came on. These help files should help you through the various steps in the programming the radio.

I would suggest that you have a copy of the service manual available to you before you go off half cocked in making a change to the VCO. It would also help to have a service monitor to be able to check the radio for frequency and deviation when you get through screwing with it.

You might also find the receiver sensitivity might start to fall off with you trying to use the radio out of it's factory band range. I would suggest that you make some simple radio receiver sensitivity measurements before making any changes. This way you have a base line to go from. It will tell if you gained or lost from your efforts.

As a last statement, It would be a good idea to save the current codeplug file on a floppy or in a different folder from the normal program save location. This way when you find out you screwed up big time and the radio doesn't work anymore, you can get back to a point where the radio was working.

Jim
Java

Post by Java »

Jim202 wrote:Why should you be annoyed with one radio working not working outside it's specified frequency range? You should be happy the other 2 radios do it.

The tuner software will allow adjustments to be made with limitations to slide the VCO range of the receiver and transmitter. Bear in mind that when you do slide the VCO up in frequency, you will loose the low end about the same amount that you moved it up. Can't have it both ways.

We won't go into the aspects of having written authorization for the channels your trying to install for transmit channels.

Unless you have a non licensed copy of the software, there should be some help files on the CD the program came on. These help files should help you through the various steps in the programming the radio.

I would suggest that you have a copy of the service manual available to you before you go off half cocked in making a change to the VCO. It would also help to have a service monitor to be able to check the radio for frequency and deviation when you get through screwing with it.

You might also find the receiver sensitivity might start to fall off with you trying to use the radio out of it's factory band range. I would suggest that you make some simple radio receiver sensitivity measurements before making any changes. This way you have a base line to go from. It will tell if you gained or lost from your efforts.

As a last statement, It would be a good idea to save the current codeplug file on a floppy or in a different folder from the normal program save location. This way when you find out you screwed up big time and the radio doesn't work anymore, you can get back to a point where the radio was working.

Jim
Thanks Jim for that somewhat, helpful advice.
But, no one said anything about transmitting. I should have been a little more clear for the foggy world we live in.

I enjoy ham radio I also enjoy being able to listen to my local sheriff and police department.
Since I only use Motorola radios, and wanted a xts5000 in uhf ( s split are hard 2 find and over priced) I opted for a Q split hoping I could adjust the radio and lose the 380-400mhz to get the radio up to 489mhz. I am just going to have someone qualified adjust the settings so I can enjoy my new radio.
Java
Java

Post by Java »

Still waiting in line for service on the xts5000. In the meantime let's talk about the tuner software and where the Vfo setting / sliders are. So far Jim's Reply seems more like a (get out of here) then any help. I would not be posting such a question if I didn't know what I was doing.
Having a radio go OOB a few mhz isn't illegal unless one is using a Magik screw driver and TXing causing intermod to adjacent channels/freqs.

Years ago this forum was the go to place for technical information and help, now it seems like..... It's not.

Let's see...
Dispatch229
New User

Post by Dispatch229 »

I have noticed that the UHF Range 1 RF boards fall into two groups;

Group 1: RX locks up to about 483-484 before it starts getting upset. TX lock is around the same.

Group 2: RX locks past 510 without much trouble. TX lock is good till about 483-484.

Few notes:
+Out of Band (OOB) operation may be possible, but receiver sensitivity and power output levels will be compromised
+There is no official designation for group 1 or 2, they are terms I made up to explain how the vast majority of the XTS5000 radios I've worked on lock up to.
+I will take some time in the near future to see if the wider range boards have a different part # or rev. as the narrower range boards

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”