Noob XTL questions about remote mounting

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KJ6PNN

Noob XTL questions about remote mounting

Post by KJ6PNN »

Hi,

Having never worked on/used the XTLs, I have a couple of noob questions.

1: What are the options for remote mounting the mic? I'd like to have the head and mic separate. As in the head is in a overhead console, and the mic is in the dash. There is no mention in the install manual of this type of config.
2: Is there such a thing as an extension cable for the DEK to O5 cable (HKN6189)? I don't think a remote head cable will work, and the little "pie" on the connector is in a different place then the control head cable.

Thanks!
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Re: Noob XTL questions about remote mounting

Post by sjxts3000 »

KJ6PNN wrote:Hi,

Having never worked on/used the XTLs, I have a couple of noob questions.

1: What are the options for remote mounting the mic? I'd like to have the head and mic separate. As in the head is in a overhead console, and the mic is in the dash. There is no mention in the install manual of this type of config.
2: Is there such a thing as an extension cable for the DEK to O5 cable (HKN6189)? I don't think a remote head cable will work, and the little "pie" on the connector is in a different place then the control head cable.

Thanks!
There's an extension cable for the mic if the control unit is (for example) in a trunk. You can hook the mic right to the control unit and not the head. The problem is getting a long enough power/speaker cable for the O5 head and speaker.
KJ6PNN

Post by KJ6PNN »

sjxts3000 wrote: There's an extension cable for the mic if the control unit is (for example) in a trunk. You can hook the mic right to the control unit and not the head. The problem is getting a long enough power/speaker cable for the O5 head and speaker.
Thanks. I figured that's what the GCAI connector on the front of the brick is for, I just couldn't find any reference in either the install or service manual to that config.

The O5 pigtails seemed long enough to reach the ignition harness, I'll have to check.

I might just order another control head cable, and try it with the dek, either it will fit or not, and I can't imagine it would short/fry anything.

Also, I'm sending you an email right now.
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

So you can plug the mic directly to the brick with an extension cable? I have been wondering about doing this on one of mine.

Thanks, BJ
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

BigJim wrote:So you can plug the mic directly to the brick with an extension cable? I have been wondering about doing this on one of mine.

Thanks, BJ
Yes...that's what the extension cable was intended for.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You could make up a cable to go from the accessory connector on the radio and fit the other end with a mic. The accessory connector is different, depending on if you have a mid power level or a high power level radio.

There are a few I gotcha things that need to be attended to. One it the software programming of the radio to get the correct connection active and the audio level correct. Have done this a number of times in a radio interoperability gateway setup. Not going to go into the details unless this is what you really need to do. This also allows for what ever mic you want to use. You don't get locked into using the current XTL mic and have to interface to the fancy mic connector.

Jim
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

I received the extension cable yesterday.

What do I change in the CPS to pass mic audio directly into the 110 watt drawer? Right now it only keys the transmitter, no audio.

BJ
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

BigJim wrote:I received the extension cable yesterday.

What do I change in the CPS to pass mic audio directly into the 110 watt drawer? Right now it only keys the transmitter, no audio.

BJ
The extension cable is for the microphone only. There's no speaker in the mic. You need a separate speaker cable (and speaker) for that.
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

Yes, I get that. When I key the mic the transmitter keys but doesn't tx any audio, just a dead carrier.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

BigJim wrote:Yes, I get that. When I key the mic the transmitter keys but doesn't tx any audio, just a dead carrier.
You'll need to check your codeplug settings. There may be something there you need to configure for the GCAI connector on the radio to be used for audio in.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

sjxts3000 wrote:
BigJim wrote:Yes, I get that. When I key the mic the transmitter keys but doesn't tx any audio, just a dead carrier.
You'll need to check your codeplug settings. There may be something there you need to configure for the GCAI connector on the radio to be used for audio in.

There is a setting to be able to select the "EXTERNAL" mic input. I would have to go into the software to tell you exactly where to go to change the setting. This will not effect the normal control head mic settings.

OK, I went and looked up where to go to get at the software settings for an external mic. They do use the accessory connector for the mic input. Can't say the same thing will be for the GCAI connector.

Go to the "Radio Configuration"

Double click on the "Radio Wide" selection.

Select the "Advanced" tab. Near the bottom of the window there, you will see a window that has the title "AUX PTT SOURCE". There are only 2 selections that can be made here. Pay attention to which one is now selected. The choices are "AUX_MIC" and AUX_TX".

Over the years, the 5 year old software geeks that Motorola has been using can't seem to get their act together. The reason I say this is it seemed that with each new version of the programming software or firmware changes, this selection was being flipped back and forth. This is why I can't tell you which is the correct selection. Just if it doesn't work now, use the other selection available.

Good luck on your efforts.

Jim
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

Tried them both, makes no difference. Wonder if it's a firmware issue? This particular radio doesn't have the newest firmware.

I found a chart awhile back that told what each firmware update changed. Gonna try to dig it up and read it again.

Thank you!!
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

My high power XTL 2500 passes TX audio and PTT fine on the GCAI connector on the brick without a control head connected. I don't remember doing anything special in the codeplug but I'll check tomorrow. I believe F/W is around 15, CPS is latest.
BigJim

Post by BigJim »

Hi guys,

Mine works just fine with a standard mic. I first was trying with a DTMF mic.

Thanks for the replies and help.

BJ

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”