XTL2500 Retain RX PL While Allowing TX MPL ?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

XTL2500 Retain RX PL While Allowing TX MPL ?

Post by Birken Vogt »

This is for CDF and USFS land where all repeaters on a particular system output the same frequency and PL so are indistinguishable to the end user other than by signal strength.

You select what repeater you want to use by picking from the MPL table but you only want to change the TX tone, the RX tone remains the same per channel.

Hundreds of channels programmed in the radio all over the state with all different RX pl so we can't put that into the MPL table.

Used to be that leaving these CSQ we could get away with but channels are more congested than ever and the users are going to hear more interference if we do this.

It was once rumored that R14 would allow this but I tried every way I could think of and never got it to work. Nor on R19 of course.

Ideas?
Jim202

Re: XTL2500 Retain RX PL While Allowing TX MPL ?

Post by Jim202 »

Birken Vogt wrote:This is for CDF and USFS land where all repeaters on a particular system output the same frequency and PL so are indistinguishable to the end user other than by signal strength.

You select what repeater you want to use by picking from the MPL table but you only want to change the TX tone, the RX tone remains the same per channel.

Hundreds of channels programmed in the radio all over the state with all different RX pl so we can't put that into the MPL table.

Used to be that leaving these CSQ we could get away with but channels are more congested than ever and the users are going to hear more interference if we do this.

It was once rumored that R14 would allow this but I tried every way I could think of and never got it to work. Nor on R19 of course.

Ideas?

Well glad I am not the only one complaining about the screw job the idiots providing the software for the XTL family of radios have come out with. Back when version R15 was here, you could do what you are asking. Then it went away with the updates that came after it.

i travel around the country frequently and like to use the radios for ham frequencies. Once in a while i run across a repeater that I don't have the correct TX PL tone. So I would press the MPL button and then walk through the 16 tone you could put into the MPL table. In my case I did the TX only. When I was done, I could press the MPL button again and it would go back to the fixed PL tones I hard programmed into the radio. But you could set it up differently.

Now these days, if you try to set up the MPL selection by checking the box for that channel (mode), it grays out the fixed RX PL tones and forces you to manually select it through the MPL button and select what you want from the programmed table. Basically that was not the way it was originally set up. Motorola broke it and has never gone back and fixed their screw up. With the radio now at end of life, there is slim to no chance it will get fixed.

With all this said, I was reading on the P25.CA web site today, that they have a way to allow you to go back to an earlier version of the software. I have thought about doing that to gain back the feature. Problem is I need all 50 zones programmed into my radios to cover the areas I travel to. Not sure going back in time to an older CPS version will maintain the number of channels I use as well as give me back the functional MPL ability.

I know it did work with version 15 of the CPS, but I was limited in the max number of channels I could program into the radio. So I am caught between the rock and a hard place on if the fix will still allow me the number of channels I have now. My travels go from southern New Hampshire to New Orleans, to western Florida all the way over to Oklahoma City, OK. and down to south west side of Fort Worth, TX.

I have found out that you can program more than 15 channels into a zone. Then the channels you don't normally use, but when your in the area, you can select. The radio will hear that channel as well as still scan the other 15 channels in your scan list for that zone. So you can cheat just a little and get 16 channels in scan per zone. This will let you put in say 20 channels in a zone, with the higher channels 16 to 20 that you can only select one at a time to be your TX selected channel and still have the scan of the normal fixed 15 in the programmed scan list.

Jim
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

Are you sure it is R15? Because I tried as hard as I could to figure it out in R14 and it never would work. I'll have to see if I can dig up R15 somewhere.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Birken Vogt wrote:Are you sure it is R15? Because I tried as hard as I could to figure it out in R14 and it never would work. I'll have to see if I can dig up R15 somewhere.

The first thing to do is make one of the buttons on the O5 control head be MPL for multi PL. Then you need to set up the multi PL table to have the tones you want. Then go to the zone channel selection at the end of the tree. In the channel selection there is a check box for the user select multi pl selection just to the left of the receiver frequency. You should be able to check that box and the TX PL not get shaded out.

Jim

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”