XTS2500 volume control question.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

XTS2500 volume control question.

Post by N4KVE »

Between myself, & several friends, we've purchased quite a few XTS2500's in 900, UHF, & VHF. As with all radios, when I turn the radio on, or off, there is a solid click.The exception would be a well used XPR6000 series radio. But on many of these radios, & it doesn't matter if they were made in the USA, or Malaysia, built in 2006, 2012, or 2014, when the radio is already on, & the volume somewhere between the minimum, and the maximum, should I turn the knob to adjust the volume, it will click like the radio is going on, or off even though the knob is nowhere near the off position. The volume control works perfectly & makes no static in the speaker, & feels perfectly smooth when turning it. Just that when it starts to turn anywhere in it's rotation, it clicks just like it was turning on, & off. Some radios do this, while others do not. Anyone seen this, & is there a cure? GARY
JeffFireRadio

Re: XTS2500 volume control question.

Post by JeffFireRadio »

There are two ultra-thin, clear, nylon washers below the volume knob when the radios are new. They provide for a frictionless volume knob turn when the radio is already on. If anyone has had the radio apart, those will fall off (unknown to most unless you've been to factory XTS school). When that happens, the bottom of the volume knob sits directly on an adhesive escutcheon on the interior radio top. So, when you turn the volume knob, it has to 'overcome' the sticky surface in order to move. That's why you get the click feel. Those ultra-thin, clear...almost invisible...washers are available from M parts if you want to put them back in. I would. - Jeff
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Thanks. When I recased an older radio, & took it apart, & pulled the knobs out, I never noticed the o-rings, & now that's it's all back together, it's still smooth as glass as it's always been. I'll have to check out for the o-rings for my 1 radio that does this. So there's 2 o-rings for the volume control knob? Thanks GARY
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Yes, with two, the lower one's bottom surface sticks to the radio control top adhesive/escutcheon down inside this whole stack, but lets its top surface glide smoothly on the next nylon washer's bottom surface, preventing friction (smooth washer-on-washer action). The top surface of the upper washer touches the bottom of the volume knob plastic. So, from the outside world inward, it goes...volume knob, washer, washer, inside escutcheon/adhesive. Works as intended.

The BSM only says 'washer' (singular), but when you disassemble it during training, they point out that there are two. It's just annotated poorly in the manual vice what you get from the production line.

And I (along with countless others) have run into what you are experiencing from others messing with the radio.

Good luck.
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

PS...they are not O-rings, they are a flat, clear, nylon 'washer'...material like the clear plastic report covers you used to use in school to protect your term paper. They are almost exactly like a paper butthole (sorry), or the peel off thingy you use on looseleaf notebook pages when you accidentally tear the hole (but clear, not white). Like a contact lens, they are darned near impossible to see even when you know they're there.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Thanks again. GARY
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Would it be too much to ask for the part number? GARY
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

0485667D01 washer teflon
"The world runs on radio."
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Thanks. Will order tomorrow. GARY.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Fixed. Removed the volume knob, & the seals were there. So I applied a tiny amount of white industrial lithium grease to the bottom of the knob where any rubbing could take place. Good as new now. This radio is 4 years old, & was barely used for 2 years, & spent the last 2 years in a drawer, so it has had an easy life. Now to tell my friends how to fix theirs. GARY

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”