Can a mic be used from the rear of an 05 control head?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wa8iqo
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTL5000 & XTS5000

Can a mic be used from the rear of an 05 control head?

Post by wa8iqo »

I recently received a 110 watt 1000 channel XTL5000. I'm in the process of installing it. Can I program the radio to use the DTMF Mic in a port on the back of the 05 (older grey) control head in place of the front panel port?
Brad - WA8IQO
Dispatch229
New User

Re: Can a mic be used from the rear of an 05 control head?

Post by Dispatch229 »

It was never designed to plug the mic into the back of the head like on the spectras (looked much better that way).

Regardless, I did get it to work on an install by removing the plug in USB port from the CHIB, going through the back of it and directly soldering the mic wires onto the back of the GCAI connector.

So, yes it can be done, but it was never designed to be done like that, so do so at your own risk.
Jim202

Re: Can a mic be used from the rear of an 05 control head?

Post by Jim202 »

Dispatch229 wrote:It was never designed to plug the mic into the back of the head like on the spectras (looked much better that way).

Regardless, I did get it to work on an install by removing the plug in USB port from the CHIB, going through the back of it and directly soldering the mic wires onto the back of the GCAI connector.

So, yes it can be done, but it was never designed to be done like that, so do so at your own risk.

On the back of the O5 head, there is an accessory connector. But I don't think there is a PTT line available. On the radio, the accessory connector does have the PTT, as well as the mic input connection. You will probably need to go into the radio software to set the connector to use the external mic connection. I suggest that the AGC setting be un-checked to turn it off. There is also a external mic gain setting that you might have to increase some to get the gain your looking for. If you go too high, it will bring up the background noise and create audio that is hard to understand.

This really doesn't answer your question, but supplies an alternative place to connect the mic to. Have used it many times in a radio interoperability gateway connections. Works very well in that application.

Jim

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”