Xtl5000 and battery problem

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Richard Collier

Xtl5000 and battery problem

Post by Richard Collier »

I have had a XTL5000 for a few years now and love this thing never had a problem starting my truck. I just added a second control head and noted my main battery dies over night. I have it set up where red wires are powered all the time like the manual states, the yellow wire is ignition switch on for power. I remove the second control head from the loop all is fine again. Now here is the kicker. I switched all red wires and the two yellow to a fuse block that is powered only when the ignition is on via a 50 amp relay. All power to all of the radios cables are disconnected when the ignition is off, checked with a volt meter to be sure. battery died again. I run two Deka group 31 batteries in my truck both are isolated via a 300amp relay. It seem like the problem is with the second control head when hooked up. Thoughts??
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: Xtl5000 and battery problem

Post by spectragod »

The power wire from the brick will have to be switched as well too. Otherwise, the brick will draw current because it is searching for the control head.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Every wire from the main radio and from the control heads is going to a Blue Seas fuse block which is powered only when the ignition is on. Everything should be dead no power at all when the ignition is off, confirmed with a volt meter.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

If the radio is isolated the. The problem is within the vehicle. I have seen many problems in the past, it they are generally on a case by case basis.

As far as the radio doing janky stuff.....

Is the radio programmed for dual heads?
Are the heads programmed for positions one and two?

More vehicle specifics would be required to make any type of best guess over the internet for a cause.

Normal causes.....

Batteries are conductive across the top plastic from acid/residue on top, they will drain themselves.

Bad cables connections, i.e. The battery never fully charges.

Bad battery, have they been load tested and the state of health checked?

Has current draw been measured? What is it?

I'd start there.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Heads programmed 1 and 2 and so in the soft ware. Batteries and cables are so clean you can eat off of them.not recommended,radio is programmed right,I have not measured power drain will try to do today. Batteries have been load tested last week never had a single problem with them or the vehicle electrical system. It is just when the second control head is hooked up. Will try something else tonight after work. I really thank you for the insight and the help.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

A few points to consider here.

It would help us understand the problem better if you gave us a hint of just what make and model of vehicle your having the problem with.

If the batteries are over 3 years old, you might consider replacing them before going much further.

Does the clock in your dash radio seem to loose time when your starting the vehicle? This is one of the early indications that your battery is beyond being reliable.

Does the vehicle crank slower than it use to? This is another indication you have a battery problem. It could be due to not being fully charged, old battery, or maybe a bad alternator.

Have you tried to measure the idle voltage of the vehicle battery after it sits for several hours?

There is a few steps to go through to check out your alternator, but without more details, I won't go into it at this point.

There is a Motorola service bulletin that has been out for some time about the XTL remote mount radios using the 05 heads killing the battery. It basically states that the red wire from the control heads need to be tied to a live +12 volt feed all the time. The yellow wire goes to the ignition switch controlled feed. If not, the radio will draw about 700 ma. and kill the vehicle battery overnight.

How do I know about about the XTL killing the vehicle battery? I have done it on several vehicles until the service bulletin was brought to my attention.

Not saying this is your problem, but it is something to keep in the back of your mind on these remote controlled radios.

Jim
Richard Collier

Found it!!!!! while doing my wiring I by mistake removed a wire leading to the 800 XTL5000 radio, I have 3 5000's in my Tundra. and it would had been the hot wire from the control head. I will know for sure in the morning. Batteries are charged by driving and a 100watt solar panel on the camper shell roof while not driving so the batteries are topped every day.Thank God for the rear battery it saved my bacon in the morning a few times. I will also run a few voltage tests in the AM before I start the truck. Everyone thank you for your insight on all the information. The 800 radio is the only one not killed when the truck is off. Will let you all know in the am.
Richard Collier

Main starting battery sitting at 12.86 volts.this morning.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”