Convert W5 to W3

Moderator: Queue Moderator

John

Convert W5 to W3

Post by John »

What do you need to do to convert a W5 XTL5000 to a W3 control head? Looking at the service manual it looks like it is the same TIB. However when I try to change the control head type in the CPS it says W3 is not supported by the radio hardware. Any suggestions? Has anyone done this?

John
C17LVFD

Re: Convert W5 to W3

Post by C17LVFD »

To the best of my knowledge it's a different TIB from a W5 but I could be wrong.

O5 And O3 use the same head but the W series I believe has a specific TIB for the W3. Same holds true for the Astro spectra.

Sorry don't have a part number for you.

Good Luck,
Seth
Seth
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Definitely a different TIB. The connections on the DB25 are very different going between W4/5/7/9 and W3, and you can/will release magic smoke if you try to cross-pollinate.
Mraudio
What radios do you own?: Quantar/AS/A-spec./VertexP25

Post by Mraudio »

Soooooo with the smoke duly noted here, MOL shows H1519 kit for 03 in stock still for $400 bucks...does this come with everything needed besides possible FW lift etc?
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Mraudio wrote:Soooooo with the smoke duly noted here, MOL shows H1519 kit for 03 in stock still for $400 bucks...does this come with everything needed besides possible FW lift etc?
Doubtful that is everything, I would probably go the 03 route if everything needs changed.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”