XTL 2500 Encryption Module

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rlkollman
New User
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, APX7000, HT1250, HT1K

XTL 2500 Encryption Module

Post by rlkollman »

I've search the Forums for information on this, so hopefully I didn't miss it somewhere...

Looking for information on getting hardware encryption setup on an XTL-2500. My current FLASHCode is 5412A8-001484-4 http://www.akardam.net/moto/tools/encod ... 8-001484-4 has W969 Hardware Multikey Encryption. When I go into Service Mode, the only encryption that is showing is ADP. I require at least DES-OFB, but would like to obtain a multi-key with multiple protocols/algorithms for future needs...

So, the questions I have are:
1. Does this current FLASHCode support DES-OFB on this radio? (I assume not as I see no evidence of DES-OFB UCM being installed...)

2. Since it already indicates Hardware Multi-Key is enabled in the radio, would I need to install a Crypto Carrier Board - or is that already installed?

In other words, can I just obtain a UCM that (at least) includes DES-OFB and install it and all will be good? Or will additional FLASH codes need to be configured or other work to make it happen? (Obviously, a KVL is required to install the key, and the agency requiring encryption has already agreed to install the necessary keys once the hardware supports it)

As far as I can tell, doing research online, the UCM should be on the back side of the front cover of the radio (remote head style) and I see a port where something could be installed. So, I would guess that is where the UCM and/or Crypto Carrier Board should be installed. Just trying to figure out what I need to do to make this work!

Thanks for your help!
tuckerm

Re: XTL 2500 Encryption Module

Post by tuckerm »

1. Flashcode doesn't determine hardware encryption. Multikey is just that, multiple key options.
2. It does not mean anything as stated above. Power on the radio and hit the home button five times until it goes into service mode. That will show you if theres a UCM, the version, and what keys its capable of. If it doesn't show UCM and the KGs, you have no hardware encryption.

To answer your question, if it does not have a hardware UCM you can get one (with DES-OFB), the carrier board, install it and all will be good. Very easy to do.

It is under the front cover of the radio drawer.

Once you do have it installed, all you have to do to enable it is check the hardware encryption checkbox instead of software and you're good to go (minus the KVL part).
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
rlkollman
New User
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, APX7000, HT1250, HT1K

Re: XTL 2500 Encryption Module

Post by rlkollman »

Thanks for the reply. I was fairly confident with everything you said before I posted, but I just wanted to double check my assumptions.

Greatly appreciated :)

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”