i am going to try to make sense out of all this, so bear with me. besides the previously discussed by the pager geek in this thread (relating to control head/radio firmware incompatibilities):
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p352433
there exists a "fracture" in the production of the XTL5000 mobile with the O5 control head.
the fracture occurs in July 2006.
Dash to Remote
Converts an existing dash mounted XTL 5000 O5 mobile radio or an existing dash mounted XTL 2500 mobile radio to a remote mounted radio. Applicable to Low/Mid power models only.
***Due to the evolution of the O5 control head, please follow these guidelines when ordering a dash to remote retrofit kit:
1. If you are retrofitting XTL 5000 O5 or XTL 2500 radios that shipped AFTER 7/01/06 - order the H1818.
2. If you are retrofitting XTL 5000 O5 radios that shipped BEFORE 7/01/06 - you MUST ORDER the H1824. If you are retrofitting XTL 2500 radios that shipped BEFORE 7/1/06 - Please see the XTL 2500 price page.
that said - the majority of the XTL's out there in the used market (i.e. MINE) - are pre-july 2006 models that originally had early release firmware in them (host 2/3/4).
Couple of rambling points here:
- pre-2006 radios will work fine in dash configuration with the O5 head... however, they will not function correctly in remote config without new hardware. this is the configuration that i have been selling.
- pre-2006 radios will work fine in REMOTE configuration with the O5 head... as long as you are running pre-version 6 host firmware.
- the difference in the two kits above - the H1818 and H1824, is that the H1824 includes a new control head, and is $200 more than the H1818 kit ($525 vice $325).
HKN6169 remains the O5 standard remote cable (17 ft) and must be ordered separately (it's about $50)
HKN6188 remains the O5 remote head power/speaker cable ($20)
i have run across a LOT of part #'s from XTL's over the last year. some are still valid, some show new items replacing the old one:
for example, the remote mount housings i have are part # HLN1453. This part # has been superceeded by: HLN1468.
I have no idea what the differences are between the two.
remote housing part # HLN1471 (now at revision D) - appears to be both the remote housing and control head (probably part of the H1824 kit)
control head HLN1463 has been superceeded by HLN1468 (no idea what the differences are) - suspect that 1463 is the pre-july 2006 and 1468 is the post-july 2006 models....
so - it looks like that *if* you purchased or plan to purchase one of the XTL's from me, you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy the H1824 remote kit...
i need someone to call parts ID (who has time) and find out EXACTLY what part #'s are included in the H1824 retrofit kit.....
once that is done, perhaps I can figure out what configurations work... and which ones dont - and exactly what parts are required.