APX6500 w/O5 control head, connecting palm mic to somewhere other than usual location

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tmast
New User

APX6500 w/O5 control head, connecting palm mic to somewhere other than usual location

Post by tmast »

I have an APX6500 using a O5 control head. Is it possible to run the palm mic from the rear of the control head? (rather than it's intended connection on the front of the control head) Or from the 26 pin accessory port on the transceiver? If I use the pin outs from the palm mic and the 26 pin connector can I do a straight connection or does the palm mic need some sort of interfacing?

The reason for this is I am installing the APX6500 on a zodiac boat. The control head and other interactive navigation equipment is covered by a lid to be protected from the elements. It would be ideal for the waterproof palm mic to not come from the front of the O5 head so this protective lid doesn't have to be lifted or cut into to accommodate the mic wire, which would make for a poor seal . Hopefully that paints a picture!
wavetar
Administrator

Re: APX6500 w/O5 control head, connecting palm mic to somewhere other than usual location

Post by wavetar »

Yes, it's really only three pins for the interface...ground (1), PTT (16), TX audio (23). Easiest thing to do is use an HMN1035 or other Motorola mic with the RJ-45 style connector, and interface it through a standard RJ-45 telco box.

A pic of the accessory connector is easily found with a google image search for XTL5000 accessory connector (it's the same as the APX).
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim202

Re: APX6500 w/O5 control head, connecting palm mic to somewhere other than usual location

Post by Jim202 »

wavetar wrote:Yes, it's really only three pins for the interface...ground (1), PTT (16), TX audio (23). Easiest thing to do is use an HMN1035 or other Motorola mic with the RJ-45 style connector, and interface it through a standard RJ-45 telco box.

A pic of the accessory connector is easily found with a google image search for XTL5000 accessory connector (it's the same as the APX).
You might have to change a setting in the radio software to make the accessory connector have live mic audio. Ran into this during my stint with one of the radio interoperability companies. Plus there is some audio gain settings for the aux mic that you need to be aware of. Too much gain and you bring up the background noise. As a suggestion, I would un check the AGC box so the auto gain doesn't mess up the audio with the radio being on a boat type application.

Jim
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Greetings. There a factory cable to extend the microphone for exactly this reason...PMKN4034 (and 4093). Yes, GCAI female to male in 10' and 20' lengths (vice the 26-pin connector), but it would allow you to do what you seek if you're not in a position to fabricate a nice homemade 26-pinner yourself. I thought I'd throw that out there if this simpler solution (i.e., someone else makes it and sends it to you) might work for you. Good luck with your project.
chartofmaryland
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Alot

Post by chartofmaryland »

Or of course you can get the motorcycle kit which can provide quite a bit of protection from water and offer the remote cable option for the microp hone

Mic extention is a great way to do it though on "my counties budget" as long as you can avoid the J turns in the middle of the river :)

CoM
If the lights are out when you leave the station and then come on the second you key up, you know you have enough power.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”