APX7000 loose control top

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

APX7000 loose control top

Post by NSPD »

Anyone ever had a problem with a loose control top on an APX7000 non/XE model?

If I press up on the volume control side with my thumb there is about 1/4" of flex exposing the internal electronics. It also causes the radio to hang up while inserting it into the carry holster and forcing it would appear to risk damaging the entire control top.

Is there a way to fix this or am I looking at a cracked frame or something?
Jake
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Re: APX7000 loose control top

Post by sjxts3000 »

Sounds like you have a missing (or stripped) control top screw. Can you post a photo?
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

I don't have the tools to get into the radio unfortunately.
Jake
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Another thing to check for is the volume side spanner nut. There's two spanner nuts that keep the control top attached... one under the volume knob and the other around the antenna SMA connector. If the nut is detached or missing, it'll allow the plastic part of the control top to be loose.

I have to say, though (and I know you didn't ask), those spanner nuts don't usually "come loose". It was either stripped or missing from someone else improperly messing with the radio. The antenna side spanner nut is the same for XE and non-XE, but what APX hackers don't realize is that there is no volume side spanner nut on an XE... it has screws on the actual control top exterior that hold it in place. So when APX hackers try to convert from XE to non-XE, they don't realize there's an additional (volume side) spanner nut required and often leave it out and let the volume knob try to hold it all in place.
NSPD

Post by NSPD »

I really appreciate your input and that is good information for the future...

I think this radio is going back where it came from. I don't have the tools to deal with the issue without damaging the radio.
Jake
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

The best outcome..... just a volume control. The worst case....a control top assembly. I have had at least a dozen that were dumped on the volume control, same above 2 outcomes.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”