APX Control Head Sync

Covering the following Subscriber devices: APX1000/1500, APX3000, APX4000/4500, APX6000, APX6000XE, APX6500, APX7000, APX7000XE, APX7000L, APX7500, and APX8000.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n9upw

APX Control Head Sync

Post by n9upw »

Is there a control head sync file for the APX series like there was for the ASTRO25 series mobiles? I've got a dash mount APX6500 that is showing FL 01/90 and then goes into maintenance mode. I am able to read/write to the radio through the rear accessory port. I even did a firmware refresh to 16.12 through the rear accessory port and still no luck on communication with the head. I am able to put the CH in flashzap mode manually and my computer recognizes the head. Just wondered if there was a sync file I could try before I send this off to the depot.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Re: APX Control Head Sync

Post by sjxts3000 »

Just out of curiosity, what control head are you using and is the radio an "Li" model? (If so, it'll only with with an O2, O3, and O5 head...no O7 or O9 support in "Lite" models)
n9upw

Post by n9upw »

Sorry, should have mentioned that in my original post. It's not an LI model. Using an O5 head. Radio has been installed in a squad car for about 6 months with no issues. Went to the city garage for an oil change and came back with FL 01-90 error.
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

APX mobiles automatically upload the appropriate control head firmware when the head is plugged into the radio for the first time if it is incompatible or out of date. You could try syncing it to an XTL5000, and then re-syncing it to the APX, but I'm going to guess the head is pooched. If you are getting an 01-90 error, the head is not seeing the drawer. Does the drawer have power?
n9upw

Post by n9upw »

Code3 wrote:You could try syncing it to an XTL5000, and then re-syncing it to the APX, but I'm going to guess the head is pooched.
That's what I kind of figured. I have even tried a known working flex and still a no go.

Code3 wrote:Does the drawer have power?
Yes, I power to the drawer. I'm able to program through the rear accessory port just fine and it even receives on the talk group it was left on when the vehicle was last shut off.
John

Post by John »

Have you tried another head or replacing the control cable?

John
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

The 01-90 error is telling you that the trunk unit isn't talking to the control head. Typically, the remote trunk portion doesn't have power on it. The control head does.
B.
n9upw

Post by n9upw »

Yep, tried a known working O5 head from an XTL and still getting the same error. Off to the depot it goes. I'll report back what was wrong when it gets returned.

John wrote:Have you tried another head or replacing the control cable?

John
John

Post by John »

Since the error indicates the head is not talking to the radio and more than one head are doing it, I would suggest trying a different cable also. Probably not the issue but a lot easier than pulling it for repair.

John
n9upw

Post by n9upw »

Its a dash mount
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I'm sure you already knew this but only black-face O5 heads will sync with an APX. Older gray-face heads will just sit there in maintenance mode and not suck down firmware from the brick.
n9upw

Post by n9upw »

Yep, it was a working black O5 head. Well, just got the radio back from the depot. Since the new computer system has been in effect, the paperwork I have been getting back with radios has been vague. The sheet I got back with the radio simply says "replaced accessory kit, APX. Performed complete PM"

Not sure what an APX accessory kit is?

motorola_otaku wrote:I'm sure you already knew this but only black-face O5 heads will sync with an APX. Older gray-face heads will just sit there in maintenance mode and not suck down firmware from the brick.

Return to “APX Series Subscribers”